Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have no idea what to do my dh & I have been married for 9 yrs together for 11 he has 3 kids from a previous marriage I have 2 his youngest son was about 17 when we had our dd we are older ppl so I just wanted to know

I work my a** for my job and to pay our extremely high mortage payment which is my check each month. But I am becoming more aware of our age all the time and what would happen if I died b/4 my dh & then his slut of a dd, sex offender son and his other son would get part of the house when I die that we have built in & lived in w/our dd that should rightfully belong to her and not the other kids. My oldest dd will take her sister if something happens to both of us but I want my dd taken care of not his kids. They have nothing to do with being raised here or making payments just like my 2 older ones dont. When my dh got w/ me he had nothing only about the clothes on his back not even a car to drive b/c of his ex took him for everything. We have built this all ourselves w/ no help from any1.I know his youngest son is beneficary if I died 1st which I dont think is right it should be my dd who is going to raise her sister what do u


Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • You can set up a nonrevocable trust through your bank, placing all of your assets in it and naming your daughter as the beneficiary. You can also appoint an attorney as trustee to oversee it during her minority if something happens to you. If your other daughter takes custody, then let your attorney know that she will have guardianship rights, but any expenses from the trust would have to be OK'd by the judge (like using it for her schooling and such).
    I can't stress this enough - both you and dh MUST make wills - otherwise, everything you own will be split equally among ALL of your joint heirs. My dad died without a will and it was a mess - luckily all of us kids agreed to sign over everything to his wife (she wasn't on the deed to the house so technically we got it).

    Answer by plylerjones at 3:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • cont.... think would be the best way to handle all this. I am getting sick over thinking his kids might benefit from all my hard work. His ex wife is nothing but a slut herself and would love to get her hands on something that I have worked so hard for.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • get your own life insurance policy and make your daughter the beneficiary after your husband

    Answer by katiekruschke at 3:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • I agree with the above

    Answer by Lauren24 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • This is the way you strongly feel, then don't have any of his kids from his previous marriage as beneficiaries. You can have more than one beneficiary. Have only your daughters and they will get what is left for them. You don't have to have your dh as a beneficiary.

    Answer by QandA at 3:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • I think that this is definitely something that needs to be discussed. The care and needs of minor children should be taken care of first. I am not saying he shouldn't leave anything to his kids, but that that is the priority. That is how I would approach it. It has nothing to do with who should have what at this point but most cases I know of, it can be stated that your older DD could live in the house until your younger daughter comes of age (to maintain her enviornment) and then after that they can either sell the house or they have to buy out their other siblings. You need to go talk to someone who can make sure these issues are taken care of just in case. There are all kinds of snags that could occur if it is not written down as a legal document somewhere.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • Sell the big house put the money in an account for dd and rent a nice condo. I'd also buy a life insurance policy of my own and make dd beneficiary.

    Answer by admckenzie at 5:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • You need to get a will. If your husbands name is on the house not much you can do about him leaving his share of the house to his kids. If the house is in your name only you can will it to anyone you want. Find an attorney and see what your options are to protect your kids. I honestly am not sure why you would remain married to someone who is clearly worthless when he raised such foul children. To each their own.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009