What is your favorite "religious" holiday and why?

I use the term religious very loosely because I know many that are not Christian still celebrate Christmas as a cecular holiday... But obviously it is... I really just mean don't include Arbor Day, 4th of July or ThanksGiving in that list... Just keep it to those that at least were if not are meant to be religious in one way or another...

~Please excuse the spelling, my brain is really not working and this thing lacks spell check!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christmas and Easter. Regardless of how many people claim it to be a secular Holiday, it is my day to celebrate Jesus in His birth and His Death and Resurrection whom I love. Thanksgiving isnt bad but it often overshadows my birthday. People are too busy with the feast to remember I was born the day of. day before, day after .. depending on when turkey day lands. This yr it is the day after which is most accurate as in was actually born the day after.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Samhain is my favorite because it sets fall off very nicely for me. I also love the connection I feel to my ancestors during that time of year.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My favorite is yule. It's the one day a year when we just stay home and exchange gifts and do stuff as a family. Every so often my ILs try to muscle in on it but then I'd need to make something different because our traditional dinner is tofurkey and trimmings and they'd whine about that and ruin the day.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Samhain is my fav. by far. I love everything about it. That it comes in the fall, that we get to dress up, that we embrace the macabre, that we start to turn inwards emotionally & psycholgically at that time,that we welcome back lost loved ones, that the celebratory feast is focused on sweets & candy...

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• For me it's Lent. No not because I love to be miserable, but because it's a time when I can reflect on what I've done or not done through year. A time to better myself, purify my soul. Each year I come out on the other side a better, more understanding person. Then as the year wears on I slip back into some of my old ways. And Lent is back.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Yeah, I'd have to go with Christmas,and Easter. As I've said before, it really doesn't matter to Christians WHEN we celebrate them. We aren't celebrating WHEN Jesus was born, or WHEN He was resurrected. We are celebrating THAT He was! That He chose to leave His home in Heaven,come to Earth, live, walk amongst us, teach, love,heal,forgive,and ultimately pay the price none of us were capable of. To do for us what we could not do for ourselves, save our souls from eternal damnation,and complete seperation from Him. Christmas could be on August 2nd,and Easter could be on October 10th,and it would make no difference.

stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Easter. Spring!
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Sabbath because it is the one day out of every week that I don't have to do dishes or pick up behind my herd. :-)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Easter.. but not for religious reasons.. It's a good holiday that opens the door to spring, and a time to get together with family... (and make up to my daughter and nephew that their birthdays are over shadowed by Christmas, and each other. lol). Poor things were born December 22.. and have to not only share their birthdays with each other.. but also with Christmas (which is why Christmas has gone down a peg or two in my book.. it's just way to busy of a time of year now.. and the cold doesn't help,lol).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Thanksgiving and Christmas! I love, love, love fall and thanksgiving right smack in the middle of it! And christmas not because I am Christian, but because it brings out the best in all people. There is a sense of unity and peace that envelops everyone and everything. I just love it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2009