feeding too frequently?

my 5 wk old daughter seems to want to eat every 2 hrs or less. i am a sahm so for now i dont mind but im wondering if im creating a bad habit. i wish she'd eat longer each time to increase time in between feedings but she seems to either get sleepy or just kinda suck only here and there after a lil while...

also...am i right that babies will take the breast even if theyre not hungry if we offer it to them when theyre cranky and nothing else seems to work??

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wish I had fed my son more often. For some reason I was stu k on 3 hrs. Around 5weeks we realized I wasn't making enough milk and I never fed closer together instead I started supplementing with formula and that was a huge mistake for us
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• At 5-6 weeks old they hit a growth spurt and eat much more frequently. If you are nursing it is very important to nurse them on demand-even if it is every hour or two. This will help increase your supply and then after a few days they will be able to get more at a feeding and not have to feed as often to get the same amount. Also breastfed babies will nurse for comfort as well as nurishment. There is nothing wrong with letting them do it. It comforts them and bonds them to you. It is one of the benifits to nursing, when they fall and hurt themselves or are upset about something, a quick nursing session and they are all better.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Ha. My son was eating every 30-45 minutes...
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• alright awesome i guess im doing the right thing!! anything for my princess. i guess i was worried that i was jumping to nursing too soon when she cried
    LittleMonster22

Answer by LittleMonster22 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My third son ate every hour and a half to 2hours for the first 3months of his life, then it went to every 2 to 3 hours. I don't think it got any longer until he was 6mo. old. I always nursed on demand. Even at night.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• my lil boy is about 5 weeks too.im nursing,and the doctor told me i could feed him every 3 hours,but like clock work he wants to be fed every two and a half.my first son though,wanted to be fed every hour and a half in the begining.usually your own motherly instincts are right,so keep up the good work!
    chu-chu

Answer by chu-chu at 5:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• No thats normal...at this age they are always hungry. If u r nursing it's good for u also because the more u nurse, the more supply of milk u will get. So make u drink plenty of water and lots of rest. And congratulations for ur 5 months baby girl. Another thing about the breat even they r not hungry they like to suck coz they feel comfort from u..So good luck cheers = ]
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 5:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My son will be 3months the10th. He was like that until about2months...then started eating roughly every3hrs for about 15 min. I don't know about other kids but when my oldest and this were/are cranky n fussy they will NOT take boob unless hungry
    oddballj

Answer by oddballj at 5:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• That's perfectly normal for a child of that age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• There is no "jumping to nurse too soon". Nursing is about food. Nursing is about comfort. My daughter falls and hits her head, when I pick her up crying I stick her right on the breast. Takes all of 3 seconds to calm her down. I have NO idea how moms who don't BF parent(not bashing, I'm just in awe). I couldn't do this w/o my "secret weapon" lol
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 8:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2009