Single parent stable house just as good as two parent house?

SATURDAY, Sept. 5 (HealthDay News) -- Family stability -- regardless of whether it's a one- or two-parent household -- may help a child succeed in school and life, a new study shows.

The findings, by an Ohio State University professor, challenge the conventional wisdom that two-parent households are always best for children. A single parent marrying or moving in with a partner may be as disruptive to a child as a divorce, the author suggests.

"Based on this study, we can't say for sure that marriage will be a good thing for the children of single mothers, particularly if that marriage is unhealthy and does not last," Claire Kamp Dush, an assistant professor of human development and family science at Ohio State, said in a university news release.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/singleparentsmaydoaswellastwostudy

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Both of my adult children were well nurtured, nurished (both physically and mentally) and are now proud contributors to our community. They think I did a good job as a single mom who had no support of any kind from their father. It isn't easy, but the things worth doing well are never easy.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 4:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Of course. There are kids that grew up with NO parents, in groups homes, foster care, etc. And they grow up to be successful and decent adults.

I think that people that think stable=two parents and that children of single parents are doomed to be trouble making failures, are narrow minded, ignorant, and uneducated. And don't forget stupid.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My mom raised me by herself,after my dad left us,when she refused to abort me,in order for him to stay married to her. She has fought a life-long battle with Epilepsy, has a 9th grade education,and was not ever able to get any more,her health wouldn't allow it. My dad spent the remainder of his life reminding me what burden I was to him,and died without ever telling me he loved me,or I was important to him (he didn't,and I wasn't). My mom, on the other hand, was always the voice and embodiment of stability, love and acceptance. Next to God, she has been the one constant, my entire life I knew I could depend on. If having a two-parent house would have meant living with a man who clearly hated me,and wanted no part of me, then I'm glad I grew up in a one-parent household. My mom gave up everything to raise me, I never went to bed hungry,even though she did, I never went without clothes,even though she did. She is the reason
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I'm the person I am today.
    stvmen88

I was raised by a single mom too. and myself and my two sisters turned out fine, with loving and stable homes

way to go

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• A single parent home can be very stable.

My second husband and I separated while I was pregnant. I had two sons from my first marriage that were 5 and 8. They had a relationship with their father and he and I got along fine. My youngest son did not have a relationship with his father.

Our home was stable. I didn't date. I didn't argue with anyone. I knew how I wanted to parent and was free to do what I wanted to do. I was able to raise competent, non-sexist young men.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• In some cases yes, some no.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Americans have the highest divorce and marriage rate Another reason why our kids are so messed up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I suppose it would depend on the definition of stable.

My mother raised us alone from the time I turned 12 and I think we had a somewhat stable home. I can't say if it would have been better had I had both parents there to raise me to adulthood, but it's not like I was given a choice. I turned out responsible though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I don't know many single moms or dads other than myself that are stable parents. They have other people in and out of their kids lives. It is really sad to see these kids get used to a boyfriend or girlfriend only to have that person snatched away from them. It would be very hard to be confident and happy when mom and dad are so self centered.

I don't date much and if I do my kids never meet the guy. I got close to marrying one man but the kids still never met him. He became a bit possesive and I did not want that around my children. My kids are doing well they have me and a stable family life. They were 2 and 1 when their dad died so I am all they have ever known. Sure I want to find love but I won't do it at my kids expense. If I find someone worthy of marrying and I love then they will meet my children until then my kids live a life free from my relationships.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2009