PLEASE RESPOND PARENTS OF TODDLERS...

ok, question for parents of toddlers.. my 2 year old daughter threw our kitten off the top of the staircase, about 20 or 25 feet to the hardwood floor below. i didnt see it but i thought for sure he was going to die. that was 3 days ago and he must have used up about 4 of his 9 lives, he is doing great now. tell me to make me feel better, what is the worst thing your toddler has done?

nickolesmommy02

Asked by nickolesmommy02 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Don't worry! 2 year olds don't understand that certain actions cause harm. I'm sure she didn't think "I am going to throw this kitten because I want to see it suffer." before she did it. She probably thought it would be fun for it.

We don't have any pets here but I would bet my 2 year old would do the same thing. He thinks it's fun to throw balls and hula hoops down the stairs so why not a cat too?
    They're toddlers, everything is a toy to them. : )
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• my 20 month old sometimes slaps our cats instead of petting it, and tries to forced feed them her sippy cup and tries to dress them and put them to bed...i think the worse was when she tried to play basket it ball with the one cat using a full size basket ball she threw it at the cat, i guess she thought he would catch it. the cat was ok but i was worried she might of some damage to its nose, being it was bleeding but vet said he was fine... they dont understand at that age yet....

have to add when my 2nd was 2 and 1/2 he took the gold fish out of the fish tank cause he wanted to pet them and cuddle them, all 4 of the fish died...
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 5:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• one of my cats is very laid back so i have to watch her closely cause she will choke the cat and squeeze her stomach. ..oh and hit her on the head.glad i read this cause my daughter is 14 months so its good to be prepared for what she might do next. As for worst thing...um she tasted toilot water the other day.i guess thats all i got for now.
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 5:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Woah. I really hope you're talking to her about that and making sure she understands that's a big no no. Ivy had an issue with my eldest cat too. He grew impatient with her typical toddlerness and paw smacked her. So one day when his back was turned, she grabbed a hanger, snuck up on him, whacked him, then ran off laughing in accomplishment. I was very upset that she thought it was funny to be mean to him. I re-explained how hitting hurt and that it was very unkind and made her apologize. Heights and falling may be a little harder to teach than hitting. You could try getting something you don't care about or an old toy and throw it down intentionally breaking it then seem amazed at how hard that must be and how bad it must hurt kitty. (don't do it if you think she'll start throwing toys for fun though) Or get her something else to throw like a basket ball and net. I hope your cat's ok =( try not to feel guilty. Just be careful
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My 16mo. old scratched my right eye last night with his fingernails that i just had cut. It hurt so bad and my eye would not open and it kept watering. I had to go to the eye doctor today because my eye was burning and would not open still. They eye doctor looked at it and said that he got me good. The scratch was pretty deep and would not heal without eye drop antibiotics. I am still seeing blurry in my right eye so i hope this is making sense. He is busy and into almost everything. I am lucky that is all he has done so far.LOL
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• She gets in the bathroom and tries to eat the toothpaste. I've spanked her (uh, eating fluoride is dangerous and too much could kill her - it warranted a spanking), I've put those door knob things on the doors to keep her out, I've put her in time-out and MOST of the time she listens to me but about that, she just doesn't. She's not so bad anymore since I put the door knob things on the doors but before, man, she would try to eat the toothpaste like it no tomorrow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• my 3 year old nephew took his pet bird out of his cage put him in a ziploc baggie then put the baggy in a box and then covered the box with his blanket... needless to say the bird did not survive and he started behavioral counseling (it wasnt his first quirky incident) at two I would watch it generally throwing things is a way of expressing frustration work on helping her identify what her feelings are and appropriate ways to communicate them if this is an isolated incident it can serve as a great opportunity to teach her about feelings and if it isnt isolated I would have her evaluated by a professional to make sure something else isnt going on it is my understanding that anytime a child is acting out with pets it's generally not a good sign but just watch it at 2 it sounds innocent enough
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 6:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My not quite two year old wanted to hug my friend's not quite 1 year old......he had him around the neck (during the split second that both of us had looked away, of course) and was strangling him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• "(uh, eating fluoride is dangerous and too much could kill her - it warranted a spanking)"

The amount of fluoride in toothpaste IS NOT enough to kill someone.. she may have a tummy ache but it isn't going to kill her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Well my 1 son ruined my new custom sized front room blind... It had not even been up a week when he put a hole in it and tore it..., there is the time he smeared frosting all over his bed comforter and wall...
    I think the most memorable incident (that he still denies) is when he poured chocolate syrup all over the cat and floor- and blamed it on his brother (who was at school).
    Yeah, he was a handful!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2009