Is there a law that you have to have a job in order to move into a apartment in California?

When we got into our apartment,my hubs had a job but then he lost it.We have someone else pay our rent,our manager knows that.Do you think another apartment would accept that?How do I go about calling up this other apartment without saying my husband and me don't have jobs,we will be inheriting some money soon to pay the rent,would that be o.k. to say but only if they ask me?This question is for anyone who knows how apartments work in California please,I would think other states do things differently?Please give me kind answers about apartment rules and nothing else thanks..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am a landlord in Cali it will be difficult to get a lease without the person who is paying your rent being on the lease with you. They would most likely be the primary on the lease since they have the money which means they could kick you out at any time. I personally would not rent to you at all. I have found in my 20 years as a landlord those who do not pay rent themselves usually tear the houses and apartments up. You might not but I would not risk it since 90 percent of the time that is what happens. I won't rent to anyone with section 8 because of it now.

In lower income neighborhoods you might find someone that will rent to you but anywhere nice is not likely to rent you. Get a job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I would think each apartment owner would make their own rules.

If you are inheriting some money it may be a good time to buy a home with the first time homeowners tax credit.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 5:40 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Appartments can be more unwilling if neither of you have jobs - they don't know you and what if you blow all this money and don't get jobs how will you pay them?? What is their way of knowing that you will fufill your contract?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My husband is going to file for bankruptcy soon,we bought a house before and he couldn't keep it then,thanks for caring but buying house around where we live are too expensive,unless we moved but we'd need alot more money to afford one and we have just pennies in the bank and he's been out of work for years.We are looking for a 1 bedroom apartment,anything to keep a roof over our heads,we are in bad shape.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I get supplementary income once a month about 720$,we get food stamps or have them.The other person paying for our rent would have to answer to the apartment,since we have always paid our rent on time for 2 years,could that be acceptable for a apartment?Having a one bedroom,is much cheaper than a two bedroom, a 2 bedroom is for people who have jobs,were bad enough to go into a shelter but the other person cares for my daughter and doesn't want her living with bums.I've lived in shelters before,not a place for kids,unless a family type but we are headed that way if we don't get into a cheaper place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Jobs are harder and harder to get now a days and apartment managers should understand that people without jobs are still decent responsible people,and they should be happy with us,since we have been responsible getting our rent on time,that says something.You can tell the difference between a decent responsible person without a job vs. one who looks homeless,who doesn't keep up their appearance,has vulgar language,who's violent or upsets society.I looked up an apartment I'm interested in and on their website they mention it's a safe area but it says that sex offenders are in that area and would you rent out to a sex offender if they could pay their rent?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I think apartments in my area will be happy to take us in regardless because the economy is down and apartment leases are lower than ever.The other person won't let me go back to work because they want me to be a sahm. I've tried looking for work,I lack having 2 good work references because of being a sahm mom for so long and also because most my jobs went out of business, so people won't hire me now,they think I'm a lazy ass,being a sahm mom and I HAVE NEVER WORKED HARDER IN MY LIFE,if anything being a sahm made me into a real hard ass good worker,I CAN WORK 24/7 AND NOT GET PAID!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Many people buy houses because they can't afford rent. That was our situation. Getting almost all of the $8000 from the rebate will pay off our debt and we can buy a car. We only needed around $1000 down and didn't have to pay a house payment for 6 weeks after closing.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2009