how to tell if a childs nose is broken and should i take him to the doctor.

I was in the other room after telling my kids 2 and 5 to clean up their toys. i hear a loud nose followed by my two year old crying. i went into the room to see what was going on. i got my two year old and sat him down and got him calmed down. i aske dthem what happened and my 5 year old said she "bonked" him with a toy. i duno if it was an accident of not. however, after i got him calmed down there was a little bit of blood in his right nostril. when i say a little i mean one wipe of his nose and it was gone. should i take him to the doctor. what should i do? please no bashing yelling at me calling me a bad mom. i am simply asking for advice in this situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it's all black and blue later and still very tender to the touch, it might be broken. There's nothing the doctor will do about it.

More than likely it's nothing. You did put ice on it, right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I don't think it would be broken. If it was there would be a lot of blood and it would be swollen. He also probably would have screamed when you wiped his nose. I think it's probably fine but if he complains about it you could take him it if it will make you feel better.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 6:21 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Wow! You have a 5 year old and you aren't sure what to do? You are a great mom if this is the worst that has happened.

Usually when your nose is broken there is a lot of blood and pain. You could see the nose looking different - bent, swollen, or a big lump.

There isn't much that can be done for a broken nose. Mine has been broken 3 times. I think it would be pretty silly to go wait in the ER for hours exposing your kids to who knows what for a litle bit of blood.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• he cried for less than five minutes and like i said it was only a drop of blood not even. if it helps (remember he is two) he is a nose picker and has already been picking at it again on the same side that was bleeding. i tried to put a frozen veggie pack on it and he wouldnt let me.(i dont have ice) so far his nose doesnt look different. but it has only been what maybe 30 minutes. or around that. Yes this is one of the worste things that has happend as far as accident wise. they have been sick or whatever. but as far as anything past general scraped knees ...and "normal" kid boo boos...i have not dealt with anything major before.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My son landed face first on our ceramic tile floor and had about the same amount of blood coming from his nose. he was just fine. I'm sure yours probably is too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Feel better. You still haven't dealt with anything major.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• There really isn't anything but cartilage in a young child's, so it can't be broken. Ice it up if it looks puffy, but other than that there really isn't anything to do about it. My DD has fallen flat on her face twice, once when she was 12 months and once when she was 7. It got puffy and that was all. Ped looked at it later and was like, "Oh well, it's fine now.."
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 7:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Just keep an eye on it maybe some tylonal if you think he's in pain but i think he'll be just fine
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 9:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Call the dr and just ask if he/she thinks you should come in

Answer by admckenzie at 10:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2009