What form of medicine can I take for a headache while being pregnant?

I know many people would say to just suffer and not take anything. I have severe headaches and I have always had severe headaches since I was younger. I can bare the pain for a little while but it eventually gets so bad that I need to take something. I just can't seem to remember what my doctor said I could take when I was pregnant before. I want to say he said Tylenol but I am not sure so any advice or help would be really appreciated. Thank you!

pcricket1008

Asked by pcricket1008 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You can take Tylenol... that's it. If it's a BAD headache, Tylenol won't help b/c it doesn't have any anti-inflammatory meds in it (like Aleve and Ibuprofen do), but it can take the edge off. If you're getting bad migraines often, talk to your doctor. However, while pregnant, the best thing for your baby is to just suffer through it... drink some caffeine & put an ice pack on your head.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Yes, it is Tylenol. If that still does not help I would talk to your doctor about something else. Sometimes Tylenol doesn't help with my headaches. I get pretty bad ones as well. Good luck! Sorry you are in so much pain.
    coolmawmy

Answer by coolmawmy at 4:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My doc gave me a script for tylenol 3's with codene so tylenol should be fine lol
    AndreaAKAMommy

Answer by AndreaAKAMommy at 6:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Tylenol for the first trimester.If you are further along you can take Ibuprofen, but keep it minimal. Don't take it unless you absolutely have to.
    Anonymous

• Try the extra strength rapid release Tylenol, it works better for me.
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• the 4th answer is not true!!! you can NOT take ibuprofen while preg especially after your 1st trimester. It interfers with heart develpoement..So DON'T take it!! The only over the counter med is Tylenol(or its generic)
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Don't take Ibuprofin!!! It is especially dangerous in the third trimester!
    depsiua

Answer by depsiua at 6:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2008