Does anyone know how many children per teacher in daycare's?

I am worried my child's daycare does not have enough people working there to care for the children properly. My child is 2 and the other day when I went to drop her off the the girl had 11 children and 5 were crying as was mine. I told another lady in the room next door and she said well I can only have 9 by myself which still seemed like to many to me. Does any one know where I can go to see the laws and regulations on daycares because I couldn't even find it by google.

Concerned!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not sure what state you are in. In MA we can call Pre School Enrichment and they are a great help. http://www.preschoolenrichmentteam.org/ This is another website that might help out as well. http://www.americatakingaction.com/childcare/licensing.html. Good Luck with everything
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• I would check with the county that you live in to find out exactly how many children a caregiver watch at one time. I know that the county that I live in, a registered caregiver can have up to 8-9 children. It seems like a lot. How can they possibly take good care of all of those children? I like the registered Daycare (Centers) a lot better. I trust them more. There are more caregivers to watch children at the same time.
    bluesky27

Answer by bluesky27 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• The laws and regulation are different state by state. You can call your local CPS or DCFS office and ask them what the rules are regarding the child to adult ratio.

In IL where I live the ratios are as follows:
    Infants (6 weeks to 14 months): 4 children per adult; Toddler (15 months-23 months): 5 children per adult; 2 year old: 8 to 1; 3-4 year olds: 10 to 1: 5 (kindergarten) and older: 20 to 1.

The ratios are also based on the youngest in the room. So if there is a mix group with infants, 2's and 10 year old then the most that can be in the room is 4 children per adult.

Again that's just here in Illinois, each state has there own rules. Just call your local CPS or DCFS office and ask them what the rules are.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 3:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• At a daycare in KATY TX depending on the ages I worked in the infant rooms it was always 4 to 1 caregiver. As far as the older children you are aloud alot more children to 1 caregiver. YES YOU SHOULD BE CONCERNED CAUSE 1 CAREGIVER CANNOT HANDLE MORE THAN 4 INFANTS I HAVE TROUBLE WITH JUST 1 INFANT
    Heaven0802

Answer by Heaven0802 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• Search for the State health dept for whatever state you're in. We're in MS and it's easy to find the regulations for childcare online.
    In MS you can have 12 two year olds with 1 teacher...but we also have the regulation of the youngest child (if a child is under 2 even by a few months the WHOLE classroom would only be able to have 9 kids per 1 teacher which is the one year old ratio reg's)
    Elizabeth1015

Answer by Elizabeth1015 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• Wow 12 to 1 is crazy especially 2 year olds when I was working for kids r kids we were short a teacher in the 2 yr. old room which I was in it was terrible that is to many for 1 caregiver
    Heaven0802

Answer by Heaven0802 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• Depends on state. FL (I used to work at a day care) it's 4:1 infants; 6:1 toddlers; 11:1 2 year olds and I'm not positive about the older kids.

I never had any problems controlling 6 toddlers. I think 11 2 year olds is a bit much, but the day care I worked at had smaller classes during the day (about 7 or 8 two year olds) then starting combing them as the kids started going home.

It's really hard to tell just by dropping the kids off. It can be chaos as some kids will just be crying b/c mommy left and there's not much the teach can do. Plus they can get over ratio easily in the ams so have to keep the mang't informed. I'd recommend peeking in on your kids between 9:30 and 11 or 2:30 and 4. That's when there's more organized play so you can really see how the teacher interacts and controlls that many kids.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 5:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• In Ohio it is 5-1 ratio.....LOL at least it was back in 95 when I was working daycare. Find a new center or home care provider if you can.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 29, 2008