If you have your panties in a bunch over Obama's "stay in school, kids" speech...

Do you feel that:

1) You have not properly instilled your values in your children and therefore they are "susceptible" to Obama's msg?

2) Your children are incapable of thinking for themselves?

3) It would be better if your children were never exposed to any opinion/ thought/ value that differs from your own?

21stCenturyMom

Asked by 21stCenturyMom at 6:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow drama much. There are already a million posts on this.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I think that my children do not need to hear his "What can you do to help Obama" crap. I've instilled excellent values in my children! Like how to respect our forefathers, and our constitution. Something Obama is pretty much eliminating...daily. For example, our free speech! Or how about our health care? We don't want his plan, and yet, he and congress have tossed around the idea of "ramming it through!" And to hell with the 57% of Americans who are against it! Where are his values? Or better yet...where are the values of those that support his sneaky, socialist agenda?!
    My children can, and do, think for themselves. BUT...they don't need to help him. They need to help themselves. AND...they respect others who have differing opinions. Something that I gather by the tone of your post...you do not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Uh-huh. And yet, none of the moms who are so afraid of what Obama might say have bothered to answer these simple questions. Why don't you answer them, Carpy?
    21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 6:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Anon, thank you for taking the time to answer. I may not agree, but I appreciate that you have answered honestly.
    21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 6:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• 1) You have not properly instilled your values in your children and therefore they are "susceptible" to Obama's msg?

My children are 5 and 7 and still believe in Santa Claus. I prefer to hold on to their innocence as long as possible.

At age 5 and 7 they do not get to "vote" on things like what they can and can't do at school, or whether or not they want to do their homework, or other things they would rather not do--at this age, I choose to parent from an authority perspective not one based on friendship!

At this point in their lives and development? Yes. When they grow up they are free to pursue whatever floats their boat. While they are under my roof, they will do as I say.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• or how about:

4. I have a problem with mixing education and politics in taxpayer-funded schools and feel that public schools must remain a NEUTRAL environment.

If Obama wanted to get a message across, there were many less controversial methods that would have been just as effective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• 1) My child has values, but I as a parent want to watch it FIRST and then if I think it is just the everyday stay in school speech will allow him to watch it. Oh and my son will not miss school he will be in the library doing other activities.

2)  No, but I also do not want to have to do damage control because my son's teacher is a very opinionated Obama supporter and I have seen what Obama supporter teachers do to young children. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezrUd8xH0gQ

CON'T

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Well, anon at 7- I think we have to accept that school is almost always heavy with politics- but I do like your answer. It's one of the few I have seen here in the last couple of days that makes sense to me.
    21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 7:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• CON'T

3) My son is exposed to others opinions, thoughts, values...But I will not allow anyone to degrade my child because he doesn't agree with Obama. Can you Imagine what his teacher will say if my son says"I DON'T THINK OBAMA INSPIRES ME."?

Seriously, you expect me to believe that letting my son watch it away from me is better than watching it first and allowing him to watch it later?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Because its been asked a million times already. You just now put up TWO more posts regarding it. It has been every other post for several days now. Why dont you just go back thru them all and read them again?

And in Answer, my son goes to private school. He can watch it at home if he wants because school doesn't start until wed. He knows what Obama is about.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2009