homemade spaghetti sauce

im trying my hand at home made spaghetti sauce and i put in it tomatos, tomato paste, zuchini, squash, mushrooms, black olives, onions, garlic, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper. ive been letting it sit in the crock pot since last night and i just tasted it and its really sour/acidic tasting. oh yeah i put merlot in it too. did i let it cook too long? how do i fix the acidic taste?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 6:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Put some sugar in.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• why did you put wine in? i've never heard of that, maybe that's why? sounds good otherwise, good luck!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Staciandababy, my whole family for 4 generations has always put wine in their homemade sauce. It's not unheard of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• We always use wine in our sauce. Def some sugar to cut the acidity and then maybe some Worcestershire sauce to help wit the sour. Also make sure to add some pasta water to help it thicken...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I always add vermouth- it sweetens the sauce. My aunt always added a couple chocolate chips to hers. I never heard of adding worcestershire sauce- I'll try that next time.

Answer by Bmat at 9:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Put a little bit of sugar in it. Start out with a small amount, you can always add more but you can't take it away. You may have cooked it too long. You really only need to let it simmer for a few hours.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Put in a bit of sugar or baking soda to cut the acid

Answer by rkoloms at 9:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Did you leave the tomato skins in? They become bitter. If so, in the future, cut an X on the bottom of each tomato, and blanch them in boiling water, one or two tomatoes at a time, for 30 seconds or so, then drop them into a sink of cold water, and the skins will peel right off. It takes less time than you think it will.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:07 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• This is not my question, but googled this exact problem and your answers are very helpful. I usually add red wine, but I'm preggo and didn't want to open a bottle that will never be consumed. I think I will go get an inexpensive bottle to fix it and add a little more sugar.
    DisneylandMom

Answer by DisneylandMom at 3:10 PM on Sep. 25, 2009