This question is for moms who've had a 7 yr. girl who scraped up her knees and arms?Do they still have scars on their bodies or did they heal when they turned a certain age or maybe did yours heal when you became an adult?

I've bumped up my knees and there's scars of them but my girls got scars or they are still pink or red,not healed yet,she got them about a month ago.Well she keeps getting her scrapes on her elbow areas and it looks ugly when she wears t-shirts.I hope they heal over because I don't want her to have that forever.These scrapes,bleed a bit and then we wash it and put neosporin on it,should I be doing something else,like put a bandaid on it after neo,I think I usually do but I give air time too.Thanks for your help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• It'll fade over time, except for the really, really bad ones.
    I'm still a clumsy gal, and most of mine have faded... of course, the bad ones are still there. :]

I wouldn't put a bandaid on it, because it doesn't allow the wound to "breathe"
    Just putting neosporin on it, and keeping it clean will do the trick. No worries~!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i still have some scars on my elbows and kneww...i used to take my bike out in the rain and ride really fast and wipe out in this huge puddle...loli dont know what i was thinking

but only the really deep ones are still there...neosporin?
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Depends... oh how one's body heals period, how deep the wound is, etc.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• knees**
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Buy some mederma .. it works wonders for scars.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My mom used to be able to tell it was summer by looking at my knees, both scraped and scabbed! I am an adult now and my knees look fine, the skin has an admazing ability to heasl itself just keep the neo on it and if she tends to get dirt in it get a spray on bandage.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 11:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• for a while when I was young I would take the skin off of one of my knees every month or so (little girls dress shoes are not meant for running in). I had to have big gauze bandages on my knees because they would bleed and weep for days and were too big for bandaids. Now you can barely see the scars and only if you know what you are looking for. There is only one scar you can see and that is one where I should have gone and gotten stitches and didn't because I wanted to go to bed and by the next morning the Dr said it had healed too much to stitch.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:49 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• you're pretty much doing fine. This stuff happens, kids are kids. If they stay scars for a few more moths, you could try cocoa butter on the marked areas, once they're completely healed over, there may or may not be a faint white mark. It'll fade in time and cocoa butter helps that process.
    LeviM

Answer by LeviM at 4:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• i still have a few, but i was far beyond being a tomboy, and i had some pretty significant injuries. so, not all of mine faded, but the majority did.

Vitamin E Oil (can even get it at the grocery) will help heal and help prevent/fade scars. it is highly effective. it is one of the main ingredients in scar fading creams, cocoa butter also helps. any good emollient will help keep it moist while it heals, but i would say from personal experience, Vitamin E works best.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:51 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My daughter split her chin open last summer (8 stitches) and I asked her if she wanted Mederma to make it less noticeable and she said "heck no! I'm gonna show this to my kids someday to make sure they know to not ever ride a bike that doesn't have brakes!"
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 4:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2009