What is OK to take for acid reflex during pregnancy?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 7:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Hot tea is a rather unexpected cure... and a bit of lemon juice all by itself can calm the stomach and stop the over-production of acid. Some people find chewing whole fennel seeds helps --you'll probably want to spit out the woody bits afterwards, although it is completely edible. You can even get them candy-coated from Indian food suppliers, if you have one around you.

All of the meds mentioned have not been tested on pregnant women, so take them at your own risk. No one has any scientific evidence about risk or safety.

The only real solution to heartburn I found was not drinking very cold water, and eating less at a time --which was really hard because I was really hungry all the time! It was the overfull-stomach that caused almost all of it.

Oh, and mint makes it worse. Don't drink peppermint tea, especially after dinner.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• my doc has me on pepcid
    MHaney1980

Answer by MHaney1980 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i take maalox but i am going to try mylanta next time i run out to see which works better
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• ask your doctor for a script

some say its ok to take omniprazole(sp)- OTC prilosec name
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• papaya enzyme is amazing

Answer by rkoloms at 7:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Pepcid is fine to take while you are pregnant 20 mg. I had awful acid reflux when I was pregnant and that seemed to be the only thing that helped especially before bed. I tried tums and they made me feel worse. Good luck!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My MD has me on 2 Zantac 150mg every day. My heartburn/reflux is just awful. It's fairly constant...:( The Zantac has helped a great deal... But I've found that the only way it works completely is if I watch my diet too... That's definatly a big help.
    trixie.jeanne

Answer by trixie.jeanne at 7:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i use tums with calcium relieves the heartburn and gives you calcium
    mom24147

Answer by mom24147 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009