Do your little one's bite you?

My son is 21 months and he has bit me 2, almost 3, times today. Its just starting, I know. But I want it to stop as soon as possible.

jmetz4

Asked by jmetz4 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Not if they know what's good for them. Mommy bites back! My 2 year old tried to bite me for the first time since he started walking. He forgot that I bite back plus I pop the mouth. You don't have to do it hard. Even gently I think it freaks them out.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• YES. He's only 13 months though. He doesn't randomly come up and bite but if his face is up against something he will chomp down - even if it's skin! I try to keep his little face away from me lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I'd never bite my kid - even gently. Plus that's teaching them it's okay to do it because mommy does it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• No,not my kids,but my sweet granddaughter is a biter,when,she bites,we just tell her,it hurts and no,we also plce her in time-out,she is 21/2,but her teeth hurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Do NOT bite him back, that teaches that biting is ok. At your son's age it is out of frustration or lack of verbal skills to tell what he wants or what he is feeling. Just gently grab his hand and tell him, "biting hurts". He could also be biting because he is teething and his gums and teeth hurt. Just keep telling him; no, it hurts, etc. It is a phase and he will outgrow it. I was lucky that the only time my son bit was when a friend in day care kept biting him and everyone else and he got sick of it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• LIttle kids are 'oral' --their world revolves around their mouths. Almost everything they explore or experience involves their mouths.

Usually, if a child is biting it's an expression of excitement or frustration that they have a hard time communicating any other way.

Look at the biting events: what happened before? what do you think she was trying to tell you?

The better people in their environment are at understanding their more subtle, early communication, the less they need to resort to the only other thing they can think of --which is sometimes biting, sometimes throwing things, sometimes freaking out completely...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009