Do you have close friends with whom you disagree politically?

I'm wondering if the women I've seen here, who are off the charts crazy and hateful about politics are those who only have friends with whom they agree.
If you do have friends on the other end of the political spectrum, can you ever see her/their perspective and can you have respectful conversations with them about political ideas?

21stCenturyMom

Asked by 21stCenturyMom at 7:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Most of my friends are very liberal, and I used to be. I have grown more conservative with age. We remain friends, but we avoid discussing politics. I think it's sad when people cannot be friends with people who don't think exactly like they do. That is a good example of being intolerant.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My husband and I both have lifelong friends and of course family members who we vehemently disagree with when it comes to politics, but we agree to simply never discuss politics when we're together.

Money, Religion and Politics....unless you know your audience and how you will be revered, are subjects that are best to be avoided!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I do and we argue if we talk politics. I also have a democrat mother, but she is 91 so I give her a pass. she doesn't realize that the party left her in the dirt 40 yrs ago. She is not liking Obama though and she IS still sharp as a tack.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I have friends all over the political spectrum. My friends basically fall in to two categories; vegetarians and housewives/SAHMs. Vegetarians tend to fall towards the left side and housewives/SAHMs tend to fall towards the right. There are a couple of republican voters in my veggie group and a few democrats in my housewife/SAHM group but not that many.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Yeah, I come from a "mixed" (ha) family too. Debating politics over dinner was par for the course and mom (dem) and dad (repub) never got angry with each other.
    21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 7:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I do. And while she doesn't regret voting for Obama, she is disappointed in him. We can talk about politics because we BOTH keep it clean. On here BOTH sides have extremes that are crazy and hurtful and completely tick the other side off!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I can only think of one set of friends, a husband & wife, who Rich and I are close with...who's views on politics are different then ours.

For the most part, I don't understand why they don't see things the way we do! LOL. But we respect their opinions, which they are entitled too! And actually, when it comes to things like "green" related politics...I agree with some of their opinions on that topic! LOL

We just make it a point to NOT discuss any of it when we are all together. It is so not worth ruining a friendship over, in my opinion!

sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Family, a few casual friends. I don't want carbon copies of me as friends..how boring would that be?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I have quite a few friends who are on the opposite political end than me. In fact, I'm a teacher, but I'm a conservative Republican, so all of my coworkers are completely opposite than I am politically! I tend not to discuss politics with them. In fact, no one knows I'm not a liberal democrat. When they spew about something with which I disagree, I simply say, "Hummmm, I know where you're coming from."
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Yes; I actually enjoy a good debate with my stepdad even if I ocassionally get frustrated.

My SO doesn't know what he thinks and just "believes" whomever said it the cleverest. *irks me to no end*

And I have a few friends who are much more conservative with them I usually know where they stand and just don't bring politics up...we have other things in common that our friendship is based on.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2009