How many sonograms do I get through my pregnancy?

I want one now! Im 30 weeks, do I get another one?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 7:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Usually only 1, unless there is something that needs to be monitored. My cousin is about 5 months along and has had 3, but she is having issues with this pregnancy. I had 1 and that was a fight to get it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Most insurance will only pay for one at 20 weeks to check and see if the baby's anatomy is OK. If you or the baby have problems, they will pay for more.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 7:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I had 2 ultrasounds with each of my 3 pregnancies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i had 2 one at around 11 weeks for a test and one at 20 weeks
    hotmama0820

Answer by hotmama0820 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I had one every time I went to the doc. I worked at a hospital so I'm not sure if my insurance covered more or he just normally did it for all his patients
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• so far ive had 2 one at 11 weeks an one at 20 weeks, but im also scheduled to have one at 27 weeks to see if the baby is growing at the right pace. i think every doctor is different some do more an some do less.
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 9:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• There is some evidence that sonography causes changes at the genetic level. We're probably find out what that means in the next 15-20 years.

None, would be my answer --unless there is a real medical need.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Generally, you get two; one early on to make sure everything's ok and in the right place, and one at around 20 weeks to make sure there are no serious problems you need to prepare for. Beyond that, it's only by necessity, and necessity is determined by the doctor; usually, you'll get another one if baby's growth is way off one way or the other, or maybe if the baby stops moving like normal, or if there's something worrisome about the heartrate. Be glad if you don't get another one, it means there's nothing to worry about. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2009