What is a foley and what does it have to do with an induction?

My doctor said he will not induce me Wed unless he inserts a foley on Tues. What is a foley? What does it have to do with an induction? (Please no debates about inductions I'm already doing it and I'm not asking for opinions on it) Thanks.

MommyLovesFaith

Asked by MommyLovesFaith at 7:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think its the thing they put in you vaginally that makes you dialate and could make you go into labor that night it just helps speed up the process
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Ask your doctor. It's his job to answer your questions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:24 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I am an LPN. PP is right - it is a Foley catheter that is inserted to drain urine from your bladder. I'm kind of surprised he wants it inserted a day early, because it doesn't take that long to do. If someone is having a c-section, they have a Foley inserted beforehand so they don't have to get up to go to the bathroom right away. I hadn't heard of anyone having a catheter inserted to be induced, but I'm a pretty new nurse.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:22 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• lamgr8ful, the doctor was probably not talking about inserting it into her bladder, but rather her cervix to manually dialate it. The link doulala provided talks all about it.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:46 AM on Sep. 6, 2009