I am in the process of ending breastfeeding for my son. Today is the first day that I have not nursed at all-previously I had nursed a little but not full time. I am so sore:( Any suggestions to deal with the soreness? Also, how do I know when the soreness has passed into an infection? Thanks for answering?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ice pack. Use a bag of frozen peas, works wonders. Not sure how to describe the pain of an infection, it is different than the pain from drying up. I had infections in both my breasts but really can't describe it. Sorry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Back in the olden days we took hot showers and bound our breasts with a tight towel. We also reduced our liquid intake. We were better after a couple of days and the soreness went away. Not sure what the new age thing is to do. Did you talk with your doctor about this before you did it? I'd contact the Le Leche League (look in the phone book or online for your area or see if there is a CM group). they might be able to help.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Motrin. Cold cabbage leaves in your bra. Remember, weaning should be gradual, and I don't know your circumstances, but if you're hurting, it probably was not gradual enough.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I found that just feeding my son (or pumping) when I got sore was the best solution... I didn't have any engorment at all when we weaned eventually my supply just dryed up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Yes, you could pump JUST ENOUGH to relieve the pain. I'm talking a tiny bit here. That can also be helpful.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Express alittle to relieve it...even by hand in the shower...put cold cabbage leaves in your bra and leave them there. Change them out and do that for a couple of days...my daughter weaned very gradually, so I hardly noticed the difference. But if it gets too engorged, it can be painful. I didn't have any engorgement.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• express some by hand and use cool soft cloths or cold cabbage leaves
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Binding breasts can make things REALLY miserable. From your other poist, I'd say you'r already on the edge of mastitis. Go pump or hand express for relief. Cabbage leaves in your bra will also help.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2009