african american/white

I was filling out some papers for my child school you have to fill the same thing out like 20 times I was just thought it was weird how they asked you what race you were and under it it says: white African american Indian and so on why on earth do they say african american and not black or why not say caucasian for white people if they are going to say african american for blacks???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• on some forms they put " African American/ Black" some black or african american people dont like the term black because black has always been used against us in history...
    so some just prefer to not use that

I have also seen " Caucasion/White" i think it just depends on where you live and what ur filling out

Im mixed and I dont say im half caucasion and half african american i just say...im half white half black

oh and most forms dont use the words indian to identify native american, since they are not indian they simply say native american...so maybe where ever you live they just use what they feel is right and thats what they feel is right.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 8:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• In this day and age, African American is synonymous with "black". The actually name of the race is "negroid", so black isn't even accurate. Just like the accurate name for "white" race is caucasoid. Basically, you know what they mean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I don't know but you could ask them!!!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• It depends on where you are. Some places say African American/Black or Caucasian/White. Sometimes they'll just have Black or White. Where ever you live is just what they put on their papers.
    QueenBee319

Answer by QueenBee319 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2009