What should I do for my 5 month old's runny nose.

My 5 month old son has a runny nose. It started when he woke up this morning. His doctor office was closed today. He doesn't have a fever(I've checked a bunch) and has only coughed a couple of times. What would you think I should do for him?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hello! Don't worry, a stuffy and runny nose during the change of seasons is quite normal. Since he does not have a fever then what you can do to help him is quite simple. Use the aspirator to suction out his nose as well as you can without going too deeply. Insert 1 drop of saline nasal spray into each nostril. He will cough, which is good because it means that it is going down his throat, which means you cleared his nose fine. If it doesn't, that is okay because the saline drops will work at drying up the congestion. Your local pharmacist can direct you to the correct saline nose drops. Purchase the store or off brand so you can save some money. Keep an eye on his throat for redness and if he tugs at his ears repeatedly. Also for a fever. If any of those occur call the doctor to have him seen.
    I hope he feels well soon. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Also, you can run a vaporizer in his room on low to create moisture in the air. Bringing him into the bathroom in his bouncy seat while you take a shower so the steam from the hot water will help moisturize his nasal passages will be helpful, too.
    He's too young for any Vicks vapo rub, which he doesn't need right now because his cough is caused from nasal dripping, but if the pediatrician prescribes for you to put some in a humidifier you can also buy the waterless humidifier that uses the Vicks Vapo pads. The lowest setting is plenty for a regular sized room. It helped my daughter tremendously when she had a non-stop cough from a nasty cold.
    Okay, I think I said it all this time. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Thanks. I guess he probably is fine. It's just he's my only child and I guess I am a worry wart...lol
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I hear ya...my daughter and I have been really sick ALL week,...the congestion got so bad that we have been sleeping downstairs so that she could be elevated and is hardy drinking anything....just b/c it's hard to drink when you're that plugged...what has helped up is giving a menthol vapor bath morning and night and while she is in the tub sucking that junk out of her nose.....feed her right away while she can breathe....if baby gets congested you can put a little baby vicks on the chest with a shirt right away. We also got some vaporizing steam liquid that you add to a cool mist humidifier. It's like putting Vicks in the air and it worked great. Other than that, it's really difficult to have a little one that's sick. It may turn into something more or it may not...unfortunately my daughter got really sick. Anyway, try these things and good luck. Just don't let him get dehydrated...if he stops drinking milk or nursing...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• ...cont...give him a little diluted juice. Just anything to keep him hydrated. That is PER the ER doc that I took her too...I don't normally give juice on a basis but it's just to keep fluids in them . good luck :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• little noses is a really good brand of nose drops. They will dry my daughter's nose up fast.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Is the runny nose clear? He may be teething! Try saline drops, the bulb, just tissues. Also at night, try propping his mattress with a pillow so his head is elevated. Hope the little guy feels better!
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Thanks to everyone for the advice...He seems to be doing better today and I am going to take him to the doctor tomorrow just to make sure.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 6, 2009