should my son see a doctor? seems like he's developed a rash.

he's 21 months, no fever, developed a few reddish spots on his back and i just thought they were passing pimples/dry skin. he might have one or two spots from time to time and they go away in a day, but this time its spread to his back and his stomach - light pimply colored spots (sounds worse than it looks). then i noticed tonight that it started to spread to his thighs, arms and feet in certain areas. they are not clustered spots, just all over here and there, and are not really raised either. he's not itchy and does not have a fever. he was just more clingy than usual today. i'm going to see if it's worse/better in the morning and then call the doc if it's worse. but does anyone know what this could be? thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It coudl be heat rash if it's really hot where you are or yeast rash- but yeast rash is usually itchy. If you;ve switched soaps or detergent lately it could be a mild allergic reaction. I know my kids also used to get irritated skin if I put too much detergent inwhen I was washing their clothes and it didn't all get rinsed out.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 8:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• yeah - i didn't really worry because i thought it was a light heat rash, but now only started worrying today because it spread. we've always used dreft, but just the last time, switch his wash with ours in Tide - maybe we used too much of it? but that was almost one week ago. i wonder if it's honeydew/cantelope we fed him this week. he had no reaction on monday/tuesday though, so i dont know why it would appear friday/saturday...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Tide is probably the cause of it... Tide is the number one laundry detergent that people are allergic to and if it's just starting then i'd guess thats what it was. Go back to using free and clear for his clothes and see if it clears up (Rewash all of the clothes you've washed)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:25 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My ds had those bumps. He was allergic to peanuts. We didn't think anything about what we were feeding him. (Children aren't supposed to have nuts until they are 3.) I took him to the Dr. I was told that it was either a virus or an allergic reaction. Was told to rub Cortisone 10 where ever there were those little red bumps. Gave a little bit of Benedryl. It got rid of the rash. Two months later, I gave ds peanut butter again. I wanted to determine what caused the rash. It was the peanut butter that was the guilty culprit. Talk to your Dr.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:49 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• thanks - my son developed a low grade fever now - has been betw 99 and 100, so not much, but it's related to this rash for sure. taking him in tomorrow to see the doc if it gets worse. if it's tide, does it make sense the rash is on his face too? maybe more likely allergic to something he ate. the only new thing lately is the honeydew. but not sure - we only gave a small amt for about 3 days. and he had a lot of scallops and shrimp on sunday - could a rash develop even days after digesting the seafood?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2009