I have insurance that wont cover pregnancy?

I am from Jacksonville fl. I just found out I am pregnant. I have insurance thru my work, But I know My insurance does not cover pregnancy. A friend told me if my income is low enough I mite still be eligible for medicaid. I'm really worried bc I know I wont be able to pay the cost for this pregnancy. I made 20,000 last year and I'm sure this year I mite make a Lil more then that, not to much since i got a 50 cent raise. I have looked up everything i could possibly find on this and only found if I am under 185% of the poverty line I can qualify and i have no clue if I am. I also have no clue if me having insurance still allows me to qualify. I called the 1800 # to ask, but they told me to make a apt with my local office. So I did, but they wont see me if I don't show them my due date from a doctor, so I made a apt but it wont be for a few weeks and its killing me. I need to know if I need a 2nd job and need to start looking

xxkayxkay

Asked by xxkayxkay at 9:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im not sure if florida has it but there is a program you can apply for :) its called access for infants an mothers(AIM) they cover your pregnancy cost. good luck!! :)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 9:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Don't get the second job. Just wait and get the paper from the dr or go to the health dept and get it. They will give you the prenatal pills at the health dept. They might even take you on as a patient for the pregnancy. Just call and ask. It will work until Medicaid kicks in.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• thats insane why would'nt your insurance cover pregnancy? if you only make 20,000 a year you are well under 185% of the poverty level but much of that depends on how many people are in the household also, it determines how much and what type of benefits you qualify for. On your states home page you should be able to find a chart that gives your states current income limits for benefits.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 9:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My insurance is pretty much for " oh ur sick, go to the docs gets meds, back to work the next day"
    I live with my bf. I heard not to tell them that, but he is on the lease that I will prob have to show him and he has his name on the car with me and his name is in the electricty. I could put my name in the electricty but what about the lease and the car?
    xxkayxkay

Answer by xxkayxkay at 9:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I never had to show a lease or car stuff to get on mine...
    You will probably qualify.
    But if you don't, for some reason, look into a midwife. They are less expensive and offer more thorough care, anyway. Many will do payment plans if you must pay out of pocket. It can be really low. And you're more likely to have a safer & more satisfying birth experience in the end, too.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• in michigan i was told you had to meet certain financial qualifications and I was nowhere near what you are making but they take your whole situation into consideration. WHen I filled the form out I had to put how many ppl I support, who I live with, bills etc etc. So I would try it. And I do not think they are concerned with if you already have insurance. I know people in my state that were living together n such n they got medicaid and alot of money for food stamps....over 300....and both were working but making prolly around what you do. So its worth a try. Usualy medicaid will not leave a pregnant women stranded bc thats harmful to the baby...its after you have the baby then they are strict and cut you off in alot of cases. Good luck!
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 9:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Medicaid, at least where I live, will cover you as a secondary insurance (meaning if you already have insurance, they'll cover what your primary insurance doesn't pay) and you can get it for up to three months in the past (so it will cover the initial doctor's visit to get the note, even after the fact). I'm not sure how the secondary insurance thing will work for you, with your primary insurance not covering pregnancy at all; if you still have to treat it as primary/secondary, you may have a hard time finding a doctor who takes Medicaid as a secondary insurance; so if you find out for sure that you qualify, check into that and see if you might not be better off to completely ditch your current insurance and just do Medicaid (it will cover all medical expenses, not just pregnancy-related ones).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I had medicaid and I lived with my boyfriend at the time and his name was on the lease and everything. Just as long as you're only trying to get it for yourself and you baby they won't say anything about it. I'm pretty sure they should cover you even if you do have insurance because your insurance doesn't cover pregnancy. I've never heard of any woman who was below the financial limit who got denied medicaid they are really worried about you having a healthy pregnancy and such.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I was approved for fl medicaid when I had other insurance that did not cover either. I made a little more then you did the previous year and had no problem qualifying. If you go to your local health department they will help you fill out the paper work and tell you if you qualify and they have a quick response. Once I turned in all my paper work for the application I was notified of my approval within 2 days. If you need a letter for pregnancy try one of those non abortion clinics, they will test you and get you a letter really fast cause they are all for ladies keeping their babies or try your local health department too. Good luck it will work out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I would hate to see you pay full price for all the medical needs in this pregnancy. I am with AmeriPlan we are the nations #1 health benefits discount company. We cover OBGYN care up to 50%. Our plans currently are only 9.95 a month with our back to school promotion for an entire household now till September 14th at 5pm. We accept all pre-existing conditions also. If you'd like more information you can email me or you can call me at 614-389-4411.
    Have a wonderful evening,
    Crystal
    Momma2bCrystal

Answer by Momma2bCrystal at 7:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2009