Lice and not being allowed to play with friends??? They want a DOCTOR'S note?

My 13 year old daughter had lice years ago so bad we needed to shave her head. Since then they haven't come back, yet she has what looks like dead nits in her hair. She's got very very thick hair, so it's really hard to go thru with a nit comb, and there's NEVER been any actual bugs since the incident years ago.

Now a few of the girls in the group of friends have lice, and have been treated for it. Two of the mother's are being nasty and telling everyone that my daughter has lice, and even going as far as saying their daughters can't play with mine, until I provide a doctor's note stating she's clean.

When the outbreak first started, even though she didn't have the bugs, we treated her anyways, and I took her to the doctor today who confirmed she has no bugs, but suggested another treatment just in case.

My DD is constantly in tears and refuses to admit she could even have had lice, and i

mrsvixen

Asked by mrsvixen at 9:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• to be honest i would not go around someone who had lice or i suspected they did. Ive nver had it and hope to never get it

dont know what the question is but if it bothers her that much then maybe she should find different friends
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• not had....has***** who has lice
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I'm sorry but I have to agree with Dom. I wouldn't want my children or myself around someone who may have lice either. It's not a personal thing its just the fact that no one wants lice and if there is suspicion of it than I can't really blame the other mothers for keeping their children away from your daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I think the other mother's should contact you directly and find out the real story. If their afraid of their kids getting it, then instead of acting like kids themselves, they need to call you. Or, if you want to be the more mature mother, contact them and tell them the real story. Good luck!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I know its silly... But I woulda got the note. Proved it to them, then tell them that u want the same from them!
    Fact of the matter is, lice like CLEAN hair. They are associated w/being dirty, but that's just not the case. & I hate to burst their bubble- but if their kids attend school, church, or any other public events, they ARE exposed!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 9:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I would just get the note to make them happy. if you doc saw her then you should be able to get a note without another appt.

Having said that... if your daughter has nits AFTER you shaved her head years ago then she HAD to have live bugs at some point. You can not have nits without having live bugs! And if you think the nits are from that and you said it was years ago, then you should be able to cut her hair to just above where the nits are. Hair grows about 6 inches a year so even if it was 2 years ago, the nits should be 12 inches down her hair AT LEAST.

Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:41 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• For future reference, put some tea tree oil in your shampoo. Lice don't like that.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Wow, how terrible. Some people can be so mean. How rude of her to demand a doctors notes. Sounds like she needs some new friend. I know it sucks for the kids, but she really should be around those parents if they are going to make her feel that bad. Just tell her it's dandruff and move on, if you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• She has nits, she has lice. Sorry. But that's the way it is. I wouldn't demand a doctor's note, but my kids wouldn't play until all lice was gone (especially the nits)

It's NOT dandruff!! There's a HUGE difference between dandruff and lice!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2009