How to properly apply makeup?

My 13 year old cousin asked me this today. Since I don't wear it I don't feel comfortable giving her tips. Anyone got some that I can give her? Like choosing colors, proper application, etc. Especially with eye liner...she said she has a problem doing that.

greenie11

Asked by greenie11 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Just curious, but why isn't she asking her mom? Not saying that there's anything wrong with her asking you, but curious why not her mom?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• first less is more. than i would take her to a department store in the mall to a makeup counter. they will do free makeovers w/an appointment, and help her determine what colors work best and how to apply them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Anon 9:23...her mom left when she was 3 so she's being raised by her Dad. She's closer to me than she is her g-ma so she asked me.
    greenie11

Answer by greenie11 at 9:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• If she goes on YouTube they have a ton of make-up tutorials. She might like some of them :-)
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I would def take vabchmommy's advice on the dept store. Its hard to tell some1 u have never met how to apply makeup. I had a Mary Kay rep do mine one time & I learned a lot from her. Including the fact that eye shape & size matter. I, for instance, can get away w/only putting eyeliner on the outter half of my eyes due to their shape. I would have never even thought about that!
    On a diff note...I think its great that she @least has u to come to! :c)
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 9:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I'm so sorry to hear about her mom, at least she has a female that she feels close to!!!!! I agree with getting some one who's job is in make up to do it. I had it done once at my aunt's store, but the girl wasn't all that into make up and didn't do a good job. Fortunatly I had my Aunt to actually show me and teach me. Her two biggest rules were always go "UP" meaning if you put on a foundation or anything that requires "rubbing" always go from the bottom up on your face make all your strokes upwards. And NEVER use soap on your face. I always trusted her advice She's well into her 80s or 90s now and looks more in her 60s!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Thanks for the advice all. I think next time I get over that way I will take her to the mall and see what kind of "trouble" we can get into. :)
    greenie11

Answer by greenie11 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Take her to Sephora for a makeover

Answer by rkoloms at 5:46 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I like the advice from what not to wear, their makeup artist is amazing!
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 3:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• At that age, I'd say no heavy liner. Just a little pale color with a little shimmer and a sweet rosey pink for her cheeks. I reccomend Bare Minerals though for EVERYONE---esp if you have breakouts to cover. It's very natural and does the job well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2009