How do I get my family to LOVE my food?

I consider myself a pretty good cook; I used to throw dinner parties, and friends would come over. They would ask for seconds!
Since I got married, the husband picks on my cooking, then brags about his cooking.. and the kids are starting to pick up on it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I think your husband should stop picking at it and bragging about his in front of your children b/c they see and hear them and are following what he does by picking at the food. Experiment with new recipes or new spices also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i agree w/the above post. he needs to treat the fact that you spent time cooking w/more respect. the kids pick up on what he does and will do it. and if he keeps up, i'd tell him that he is now responsible for feeding himself and the kids and you'll just feed yourself.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• maybe your cooking is not that great, and your friends were just being polite. Just a thought. other than that, i would tell him to cook. But i like to cook so i don't want my hubby to cook, but it would be a nice treat for you to have him cook and do the dishes!
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 9:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I have a strict "you have to try it" policy. My husband is the only one allowed to veto a meal. And he has to do it nicely. He can tell me he doesn't like a meal or a part of one. This way I don't make it again. If he really doesn't like something I don't want to waste my time making it. We make dinner menus together and try new things. I'm not a great cook, and having the veto really helps. kids always have the option of a PB and J or going hungry. they will suffer through a meal pretty well. The youngest is really picky so I try to give him a little slack with the "I don't like it" comments.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 9:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I'd say "Hubby, if your cooking is so much better you have the floor, we'd all like to enjoy a gourmet meal!" "Otherwise, your suggestions are welcome & your help greatly appreciated." Look, I'm by no means the best cook in the world but, I try & have gotten better the more I've tried. My SO is far from delicate with his criticisms in general but, when it comes to my cooking he appreciates the effort. And he eats it, and he tells me what he liked, makes suggestions on what I can do better or differently (he cooks some things better than me, for sure), helps me out if I need it & encourages our LO to eat it too. I don't think that's too much to expect from someone who is a self-proclaimed chef :)

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Oh, & some guys are just born to tease so, if the kids are picking up on it having a disrespectful tone then you two should address that. If there is a way to playfully tease back, I don't think it's a bad thing for kids to see that kind of banter between parents provided its playful and not mean spirited. JMO, HTHs.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Your husband is setting a poor example for your children. Clearly, no one ever taught him "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

We use the 3 bite rule. you must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; ifyou don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

If you would like to try some new dishes, a have a ton of healthy, tasty, family and budget friendly recipes; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I would be really tempted to stand up, grab my plate, and say, "OK, then, I'll go eat my dinner in front of the TV. From now on, you can feed yourselves."
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:04 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• . I have a 3 strike rule on anything I make. I make it 3 times and if its still not something they like I don't fix it again for a few years.
    My husband used to make comments like that. We were visiting his Mom and I fixed dinner one night to give her a break and he started to complain, I let his mom deal with it and since then he has not said anything negative. He just fixes his own dinner on those nights.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• First, I would tell hubby that since he is such a wonderful cook, then HE can cook all the meals for a month. After that, have the kids help plan and cook the meals. You can even have them help do the grocery shopping. While they are cooking, they are learning about math and science at the same time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2009