"I love these members, they get up and say, ‘Read the bill,’” Should they read the bill or just sign it because they know better? this is the Dem.think

During his speech at a National Press Club luncheon, the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, Democratic Congressman John Conyers (D-Mich.), questioned the point of lawmakers reading the health care bill.
“I love these members, they get up and say, ‘Read the bill,’” said Conyers.
“What good is reading the bill if it’s a thousand pages and you don’t have two days and two lawyers to find out what it means after you read the bill?”
Eric Massa (D-NY): "I will vote adamantly against the interests of my district if I actually think what I am doing is going to be helpful."

Rep. Louise Slaughter: "I'm not doing town meetings; I'm not going to give those people a forum. I went through it with the Clinton health care bill, with the John Birch Society, where we had to have police around, and people hysterically crying…"

gammie

Asked by gammie at 9:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Almost everyone in congress has this nasty habit of not reading any bills before they vote on them...which is how all sorts of big spending on silly things get snuck into bill after bill.

Yeah, I think it should be a law that no congressperson can vote until they've read the bill whatever it is - and from whatever party they represent.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• They are voted in to vote in 'WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT IN HIS DISTRICT" NOT TREAT THEM LIKE LITTLE KIDS. AND TELL THEM I KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Gammie, they want to make sure WE have no say. So they sneak bills in the backdoor, vote on them at 3 am, and could give a rats tail to what we think or want. This whole system needs to be redone we need to get all of these loonies out of OFFICE NOW!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Not only should they have to actually read the bill (it's utterly insane that we should have to tell them this!), they should have to post it openly for us to read after all the revisions and before they are allowed to vote on it. Nothing can be added or taken away in that window, and any changes should make the timeframe start over. And it should be written in such a way that the average American can understand it.

They need to remember that they are the public servants, they have to answer to us, not the other way around.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• This healthcare bill is going to pass and it will be passed in a sneaky way. Obama and Dems are all about being shady.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I think it is time to fire them all!! and start fresh, they are all dirty!
    We the people will paid for their mistakes.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Yes, they should read the bill but as I was told repeatedly by Republicans when I complained that congress didn't read the PA before passing it, they almost never read the full bills. I guess that's only ok if it's legislation one supports.

Anon, the Dems are no more shady than the Reps. It's politics and anyone who gets that far in the game has some questionable ties or activities.

That I can agree with you on Gammie, they ALL need to go and get some new faces & term limits.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Fired!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• This has been posted before. It doesn't take 2 days, nor do you need the aide of a lawyer to read the bill. Sounds like an excuse.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2009