Restaurant Ranch

This might be a wierd question but for anyone who LOVES ranch, it's really not. I love ranch, but only the good kind from diners like Rams Horns, or pizza places that make their own like Jets pizza....I really do not like store bought ranch..Its not the same. I think its the buttermilk. So just wondering if anyone knows a recipe for buttermilk ranch dressing that comes out just like a restaurant. Im sure I could look it up but I won't know if it tastes the way that i want. I just want to make a little to store in the fridge instead of buying Hidden Valley or Kens Steakhouse kind amongst the others that I waste money on and do not even enjoy. If I am going to eat those calories from fattening dressings I want to LOVE what I am eating ya know?

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 9:33 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• its so weird you asked this because i totally want to know i was just telling my hubby i wish you could boy ranch at the stores that taste liek the restraunts! let me know if you find anything. i've heard they all use hidden valley mixed with buttermilk or something.
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 9:34 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• the closest i've found isn't one i make its hidden valley lite ranch. but thats b/c most places around here only carry lite not buttermilk.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:35 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I am interested to see what answers you get. I feel the same way. We have a local restaurant called The Ranch House that has the BEST ranch. Thats what they put on the baked potatoes and I have to go every once in a while and get one as a treat.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:36 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• This is from Sweet Savvy. It is far superior to anything from a grocery store: BUTTERMILK RANCH DRESSING DRY MIX
    This can be used in any recipe that calls for dry ranch dressing mix. You can mix this in any amount, store it in a jar, and use it as needed. When creating this recipe, I used small containers of herbs from Simply Organic, which I found in my local natural food store (they contain eight teaspoons of herbs, so if you are combining these little containers to make this, use eight teaspoons of salt and evaporated cane juice). Simply mix together equal amounts of the following dry ingredients:
    salt (use a natural salt such as sea salt or Himalayan salt)
    dried bell peppers (I used Simply Organic "veggie pepper" that contains black pepper, onion, garlic, celery, and bell peppers...if you don't use this, add some black pepper along with dried bell peppers)
    garlic powder (powder, not garlic salt)

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I knew there were other people out there just as obsessed with ranch! lol. I do not like hidden valley though...the closest I have found that is store bought is Kens steakhouse BUTTERMILK ranch..there are two kinds but the buttermilk kind is best. Its not even close to restaurant ranch though.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 9:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• onion powder (powder, not onion salt)
    evaporated cane juice (Sucanat or Rapadura, you could also substitute any dry sweetener you like, but it will taste different)
    parsley flakes
    thyme
    basil
    I like about 6 teaspoons per cup of whatever you are adding it to.
    BUTTERMILK RANCH SALAD DRESSING
    The brand name dressing calls for adding the dry mix to a combination of buttermilk and mayonnaise. But when searching for buttermilk dressing recipes, I found a wide variety of ratios for the buttermilk and mayonnaise. And, sometimes yogurt or sour cream was used instead of the mayo. For the test recipe I used one cup buttermilk and 1/4 cup mayonnaise, and that was a good ratio for me. I also added about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar so as to not lose the tang of the buttermilk when I added the mayo. So play around with it and see what best meets your needs for thickness, flavor, and fat.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Thanks rkoloms! I didnt realize there were so many wierd ingredients! I am going to try that, hope it comes out the way I want!
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 9:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My husband used to be a cook for rams horn so I will get the recipe for their ranch for you if you will check back in a little while!
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 12:25 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Get the Hidden Valley Ranch buttermilk dry mix - and instead of using buttermilk, use half a cup of sour cream and half a cup of milk. and a cup of mayo - REAL mayo, not miracle whip. I'm telling you, it's delicious and exactly what you're looking for. And super simple.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 2:16 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• google...... " Restaurant style ranch dressing recipes"
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:47 AM on Sep. 6, 2009