Really gassy baby

For the past week or so my dd, who is just 2 weeks old, has been having really bad gas, she cries and cries till it comes out.

We thought that it might have been the formula, but she didn't have an issue the first week, and its the same formula.

We've tried Mylicon, but it doesn't seem to help to much. We have been massaging her tummy, bicycling her legs.. everything. She only seems content when she is eatting.

Anyone have any other suggestions to try?

Skye-Angel

Asked by Skye-Angel at 9:37 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you gone from liquid to powder? if so go back to liquid for another week or two, both my kids had a problem going from liquid to powder in the first month. they got gassy and constipated. and make sure you try and burp her before she finishes her bottle, about halfway through stop feeding and burp her. make sure you feed her before she gets really worked up and screaming or else her tummy will be full or air from screaming and the formula just makes it worse.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• When our daughter was around 2 months she was extremely gassy. She was BF but her belly pain was horrendous. If you're able, buy one of those workout balls and hold your daughter in your lap faced away from you. Bounce her on that ball about 15 min after she eats (otherwise you will get some wet burps!). This made a huge difference for us, and it helped her fall asleep. I hope it works for you, good luck!
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• It could be the formula. My daughter was about a month when we decided to switch her as nothing else seem to take away the gas pains. We used Enfamil Gentlease and I think that was the best thing we did for her. You can also try laying her on her back and moving her legs like she is riding a bike. That sometimes helps.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I would agree that Enfamil Gentlease formula may be the solution. However, I would check with your pediatrician first (if you haven't already done so) as it could be something else.

By the way, Parents Choice formula sold at Walmart stores has a formula that is the same as the Enfamil Gentlease and we used it for our son (who was also having lots of gas) and it works the same and is MUCH cheaper. Hope things settle down soon for you!
    Mommy0568

Answer by Mommy0568 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Yea, if this is still going on on Tuesday I am calling her doctor. Unfortunately we can't afford to change her formula unless its something wic covers (this pregnancy was a huge surprise, and needless to say my job let me go about half way through my pregnancy)... but I am going to talk to her doctor.

We did go from a liquid pre-made (that the hospital had given us) to a powder.. makes me wish I had more liquid to give her :( Gave in and bought some gripe water tonight and am going to give that a shot. Will keep the enfamil in mind... or even the parents choice because I know how cheap that is :-) Just wanna talk to her doc before switching her around on formulas.

Thanks for all the advice!! :)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I just went through this same problem with my 2 month old daughter, we ended up trying several different medications....zantac and prilosec. Neither worked for her. We decided to try gripe water which was referred to us not only by friends but but also by my doctor. It is a miracle in a bottle!!! Its all natural and you can get it over the counter at any pharmacy. She was so gassy she would scream for an hour at a time then finally pass gas and relax. Now that shes on gripe water she hasnt had ANY problems at all!! It doesnt hurt to give it a try since its all natural and its good for babies 2 weeks and up!
    faithm127

Answer by faithm127 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2009