For all of you against welfare

It really amuses me how so many women on here are against welfare. What do you think would happen to this country if we eliminated welfare? Do you think that all of a sudden, the people who get it are going to decide to get up off their asses and get a job? No, instead the streets will be full of homeless people like some third world countries. Maybe you will be satisfied when there are tent cities all over the place, crime rates go up, and the homeless start building little shacks all over the place and their kids walk around barefoot with no diapers. Because that is the reality. I've been to a country that doesnt have a welfare system. Instead of complaining about how welfare should be done away with, what we need to focus on is welfare reform and how to make sure it is getting into the hands of the people who really need it.

MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Asked by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 9:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have said this many times, we need to make everyone who is on PA to reapply, because I promise more than half the people on it don't qualify for it anymore (that would be billions of dollars saved). I also think we need to make vocational schools more accessible / affordable to help get people off of PA.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i don't think a majority of people are against welfare, i think that they are against people abusing the system and using it to their benefit. i'm not against PA but i am against people who lie to get it, or get it b/c they spend their money on drugs and can't afford to take care of their kids b/c of that.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I'm not against welfare, I just think it shouldn't be so "comfortable" being on welfare so people would be more inclined to get off it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• MiSSHiSCAMP0S, maybe instead of saying WHAT should be done, you can propose a WAY to do it? Lawmakers, social workers and others have been trying to do just what you have proposed for years, but no one seems to know how to even make a start. If you've got any good ideas, bring them on, they will be appreciated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• There are too many people that abuse the system. And I agree reform is the best solution. Sadly those that need PA are penalized for working. I was in the system for 4 years while I was going back to school. If I worked while in school I would have lost much of my needed food stamps, medical for my son and help with my section 8 housing. I had to claim my student loans as income eventhough I didn't use it for anything but tuition and book. The system is flawed. It encourages people to abuse.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 9:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• not a clue how to fix it!
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 9:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Answered at 9:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 by: Crissy1213

All of what you said happens and exists. Every year welfare receipiants have to reapply. Then after two years they need to do something to start getting off it.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I'm not against welfare, I just think it shouldn't be so "comfortable" being on welfare so people would be more inclined to get off it

I have never had a "comfortable" time on welfare.My mom was on and off of it while i was a child (depending on her job and income). And my husband and i are on PA (only a little FS) now because he lost his great paying job and now works for very little. I can hardly pay for my childrens clothes, had to beg my MIL for school suppilies, barely have enough FS for food and am behind in almost every bill. IDK anyone on PA that is living comfortablly. PA is hell, always have been.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Wow... my state must be one of the toughest PA states there is... I used to work at the welfare dept and there is an eligibility review every 6 months, the recipient has to be active the work first program (a program where there are classes 5 days a week and a minimum amount of job applications must be put in a week) or going to college.

The rules here are very strict and one lil mess up (lie) by the recipient will result in termination....if they don't go to their work first classes or put in the amount of applications required they may be terminated... its not easy living on the system here...

orkibe3

Answer by orkibe3 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• OneToughMami
    Yes true but they don't enforce it, my mother abused the system and I see my sister doing it too. My sister has been on PA for 6 years and has never ONCE reapplied for it. She still receives her money on time on her card yet she is working and in school and her husband makes 40,000 a year.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2009