Book Recommendaion- parenting/reprimanding 6yrs olds...

My 6 year old daughter doesn't listen to me anymore! Everything is a battle... and I mean everything. My husband tells me, I have to get tough with her.... His definition of "getting tough" is a good spanking with a side of very loud yelling... I truly believe in my heart, that if I just get down to her level, and talk to my DD it will eventually work.... But it doesn't! And unfortunately my mother and others also seem agree my DD doesn't listen. Although, I must say I have not received any complains from school!

Does anyone have a great modern day book recommendation on parenting/reprimanding for 6/7 year olds? If so, please let know...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "Family First" by Dr. Phil. I have it and it's proved useful in stopping the control battles between my son and I.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• 1-2-3 Magic is a very good method of discipline. Many schools use this method too. It is very simple for the children to understand and it is consistent if you are consistent with it. You should be able to get the book at the library.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:16 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• The New Dare to Discipline and The New Raising the Strong Willed Child, both by Dr. James Dobson. They are adaptations of previously released books, but have great common sense strategies.

Answer by missanc at 8:53 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• we also use 1-2-3 magic. Works great for my kids. It explains not only how to use the method but also how not to use the method. It is also very flexible to meet each individual child's needs(like at 3 DD 2 gets time out DS 5 loses T.V. or games). I like it because it is non-spanking and that is what we needed for my son.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:04 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• 1-2-3 It's Magic. Works great and is a common sense, non spanking approach to discipline. Read the book all the way through and then follow as needed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Here are several of the books mentioned and other general parenting/discipline books and time out tools. http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=15    Read the reviews and see what appeals to you.

I would also suggest you read some books with her which may help her too.  See some under the "help me be good" or "Anger/acting out/temper tantrums" section on this link http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 2:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• A wonderful book is "My Child Won't Listen" by Linda Griffin. You can buy at Barnes and Nobles.com. Here is the link:
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/My-Child-Wont-Listen/MS-Linda-Griffin/e/9781438916903/?itm=1
    slpamy

Answer by slpamy at 8:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2009