How do you get a 7 month old to eat solids

We started feeding my daughter baby foods a month ago. I started with jarred sweet potatoes and then started making all of my own food after she refused it. She grabs at everthing I eat, likes the teething biscuits and stole a piece of cheese from her brother. We are just worried about giving her things that are not pureed because she might choke. Any ideas of what we can do or what we can give her. She wants to hold it and chew.

KJNguyen

Asked by KJNguyen at 10:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD would not eat any baby food. I would give her a banana to eat in small pieces, soft cheese really hard crusty foccaccia bread (becuase it was so hard it would totally mush before she got any off it) anything that would mush up if she put it in her mouth.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 10:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't. I think you are right, she'll choke

Answer by admckenzie at 10:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i started my kids on baby food at 4 months. fruits then at 6 months started veggies.
    there are things you can put he food in the baby can hold & it prevents choking .
    allow her to hold a baby spoon while you fed her.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• You don't have to give pureed "baby" food. Yes, you have to be careful and give her things she can't choke on. But, if she can pick it up and eat it and ask for more, then she is ready for it. Put soft pieces of "safe" food from your plate onto her tray. Soft pea sized pieces that you can mash between your fingers such as soft cooked veggies, tender chicken, pasta, ripe banana, cooked sweet potato etc. The human race survived a long time before Gerber started putting mush into jars.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Cook a sweet potato really soft and cut it up. It'll be messy, but I bet she can handle it.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Offer very small pieces of very soft foods. Babies can gum pretty well. They use their gums to mash food. I'd say if she's not interested in purees that she's not yet ready, but then you said that she wants to eat table food, so she might be. Cut up banana, avocado, get the little gerber puffs, cubes of VERY soft sweet potato, ect.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• see if baby would like those mesh feeder things
    http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Fresh-Food-Feeder-Pack/dp/B000GK5XY2/ref=pd_sim_k_3
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2009