How long do women breastfeed?

I'm just wondering. I have no idea, but formula fed babies switch to whole milk at 1yr so wouldn't that be the same for breast fed babes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• On here women will tell you not to stop breasfeeding tell your child is ready. That could be never.

Answer by louise2 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• im going to try to BF for the whole year
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I bf'd my first for 18mos (would have been longer but my milk dried up when I was pg with my 2nd) and my 2nd to 25 mos. Both self weaned. I know moms who have done everything from 6mos (and then switched to formula) to 4 yrs. You can switch to whole milk at a year if you want. I had my kids start drinking milk at a year but since I was still mursing I gave them skim milk instead because I wasn't worried about them needing as much fat.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 10:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• To Breastfeeding moms: Why not wean the child yourself? Why let the child decide? Just wondering; trying to understand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Because there is no rush. Breast will not ruin the child's teeth or cause any other bad situations in the child. My son is 2 and he still nurses at night. I will let him stop on his own. At this moment i know he is only doing it for the closeness and comfort. I do not want to cut him off, thats cold. He will wean when he is ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Every one is different. Personally, I let my children wean when they are ready. Many choose to wean at 1 year, some even earlier. It's recommended by the AAP and WHO to breastfeed exclusively the first 6 months, and at that time you can, but do not have to introduce solids. They also recommend nursing until at least around age two, or for as long as mutually desired. Why? Because breast milk never loses nutritional value. It is good for your baby or toddler at any age. In my eyes, the question is why stop? But I do understand that not everyone is like me, and they have their reasons for whenever and however they decide to wean their children. Hope I was able to give you a better understanding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Oh Louise. EVERY child will wean eventually. I promise you this. To each their own.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i have mixed feelings about weaning. i've been breastfeeding my daughter and we both like it a lot. I like the whole experience and being able to fulfill her with something that comes from ME makes me feel good. She likes being cuddled and it helps her bond with me, I can tell.
    but i guess its just mixed feelings because breastfeeding is hard, as far as my independence goes because she absolutely refuses to take anything from a bottle, even my pumped milk. so that really cuts my ability to be too far from her for extended amounts of time.
    thats the only reason why i want to wean from 9 mos-1 year, otherwise i'd continue for a long time
    Bernie19

Answer by Bernie19 at 1:36 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Any more than 6 months to a yr. When those teeth come out, it becomes PAINFUL. Any longer than and you are in for some pain on your nibble. But best of luck and tc .
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 2:08 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

My daughter self-weaned at 23 months.

http://baby-led.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 5:55 AM on Sep. 6, 2009