The piss and moan bandwagon....what to do with a 16 yr old girl!!!! who hates her

4 yr old brother....she constantly complains about him!! and complains about his dad, her stepdad. Complains about everything. I even ask her why the attitude and she just says "I'm just saying the truth mom" or "I'm just making a point".
I get it that she feels like the only one at school without a license but she doesn't listen very well at my guidence while driving with her and quite frankly I'm pertrified at being her passenger!! or her cell phone is a pay as you go type where she has to buy her minutes....she doesn't have much for school clothes because she can't make up her mind and decides it's my fault she has no clothes. I can take her to THE MALL OF AMERICA for an entire day and all she can find is 1 shirt!!! She feels entitled to have a new car and an Iphone because these are what her friends have.....well I'm old school, get your own car if you want one and if you want an Iphone, buy it then!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• why doesnt she get a part time job?
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• She works on weekends and she used to work in a preschool where she felt the kids were smarter and better talkers then her brother
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Keep your ground Mom. I applaud you in your efforts to teach your daughter reality. There are too many parents these days that live by the standards that "their children deserve this or that". The first thing, I'd say to your daughter is that she needs to respect her little brother. If something should happen to you or step dad, he's the only one she will have left that is closest to her. I know of a family where they had three children and the middle one died two years ago from cancer. Those siblings are still struggling to this day because of the void that will never be replaced. If your daughter doesn't stop with the negative talk about her brother, perhaps you could take her to a local shelter and show her the families that are there. Show her families that have lost their children. At your daughters age, I was homeless. Give baby girl a wake up call.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• She'll get pissed and find a way to make it happen. I'm with you. She can figure it all out. No where does it say we have to give kids anything but medical, food and shelter. The rest is a gift. All three of my kids bought their own car and everything they wanted. They are responsible adults now and know they made it in life on their own. I gave moral support but they earned their own way. You are right. Don't give in

Answer by admckenzie at 4:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I would be more concerned about her feelings toward a 4 year old brother rather than what she thinks she needs or deserves.
    She should understand that even though she "hates" her little brother he is still going to look up to her (or hide in fear).
    luvbeinhermom

Answer by luvbeinhermom at 2:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2009