Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if you feel something is wrong with you child

My son is six years old, has FTT and is still in size 2T-3T clothing. He only eats about 500-1000 calories a day. I keep telling the dostor I have concerns and they have been doing test though not finding anything. He has a lot of allergies he's allergic to eggs , milk ,peanuts, treenuts, chocolate, and cinnamon. Everytime I try to make him eat he says his stomach is hurting. I really need some advise for I am starting to feel as the doctors here are just blowing me off and not doing all the testing they should be doing.

Answer Question

Asked by jen020309 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • you can always switch docs make sure you get answers to your concerns other than it's okay or it will pass. Good luck

    Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • if i were you, i'd get a different doctor for him

    Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • Go with your gut here, you are probably right. there may be another allergy that you don't know about. Maybe a gluten allergy. Or just some kind of digestive issues going on. I would do lots of research on the computer, and go to the doctor with a list of things you think it may be. Maybe then the doctor will take you more seriously. If not, have you tried to go to a nutritionist or expanding outside you state or area. If your son is complaining of stomach pains then there is something wrong, the doctor should see that. I'm really sorry that you are going through this, and i hope that you find a answer soon! good luck mama.. and remember a mother is always right :)

    Answer by ashjacks4 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • What's FTT?

    Two things I would do... the first is to offer lots of foods that are acceptable to his body and never, ever talk about it again, and the second would be to start journalling what I think is happening.

    Not sure why you think 500-1000 calories for a 6yo is unusual. But both my kids were tall, but slim enough to wear much younger clothes. In fact, my eldest could wear a 4T shirt until she was 11. A lot of clothes are made these days to fit the obese children, who are growing in number every year.

    Medicine is still more of an art than a science -there is more information than any human could possibly absorb in a hundred lifetimes and doctors will only recognize symptoms of things they've ever heard of.

    It would probably help your mental state to spend some time working on dealing effectively with stress. At least partly because sometimes, sensitive little boys are really reacting to their parents' fears.

    Answer by LindaClement at 10:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • Switch doctors, that's what I would do.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • Your child should be getting around 1000-1400 calories a day. If you feel your doc is not taking you seriously then absolutely go find someone else to see, but you may get the same response.

    Answer by mummy22kids at 10:59 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • naturepathy doc!

    Answer by mirit.rose at 11:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • who said he had ftt? is he ok on his heigth? he could be in those sizes because he has a small torso and waist which is not a problem,if they arent finding anything then he is ok mommy,were you and your husband very big as kids? my son is 3 and he carries no weight around his tummy so he fits 2t shorts,as long as the doctors ran test and its clear then theres no need to change doctors,but if that is whats gonna make you feel better go for it mom,if he is not a big eater its ok,but give him vitimins

    Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:16 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • It is your right to get a referral to a specialist. Go back and demand a referral. Specialist know more than family docs.

    Answer by Amber115 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • Jen, you really need to take him to another town and get a doctor to look at him. The doctors in your town suck.

    Answer by Arisce at 11:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.