David Petraeus, Joe Scarborough GOP ticket in 2012?

Some major donors and GOP strategists have approached Joe Scarborough, the host of MSNBC’s "Morning Joe,” about a national run, according to party sources.

Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole of Kansas, the Republican nominee in 1996, told POLITICO that he would like to see Army four-star Gen. David Petraeus — the head of the U.S. Central Command, which includes Iraq and Afghanistan — run for president as a latter-day Ike.

Some fiscal conservatives, convinced that they’ll never “out-Obama Obama,” are sold on a solid-but-unflashy choice: Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels. Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) was able to generate some early buzz — and news coverage — simply by telegraphing plans for a quick trip to Iowa later this year.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/26741.html#ixzz0QI6nh8Xr

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Then there is freshman Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker, a former Chattanooga mayor who cut a high profile as an opponent of the Obama administration’s auto industry strategy and keynoted the South Carolina GOP’s annual dinner in May.

“Several GOP candidates are coming to the view that the way to run against Obama is not to out-Obama Obama with flash or sizzle,” said Dan Senor, an adjunct senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations and a Bush administration veteran. “They want to go in the opposite direction: smart, back-to-basics, competence.”
    It’s a fool’s errand to appraise whether any of these candidates — or the half-dozen other top-tier GOP possibilities — stand a chance in 2012. And top GOP strategists say they recognize that history gives them little chance of unseating Obama if the economy improves noticeably.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• The General, ok. Joe, no way. He is too liberal of a republican for me.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I actually like that ticket. It could bring a lot of independents and conservative dems...
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:57 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My husband has been talking about Gen. David Petraeus for some time now.. Experience, Credentials, Awareness of International affairs as well as managing a large organization.... I am not sure he would do it. But could you imagine Obama debating a General... I think Gen. David Petraeus would eat Obama alive in the debating arena.... I would pay just to watch that debate!!!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• You do know that Gen. David Petraeus is totally against torture right?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• and he is more alligned with President Obama's foreign policy??
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Torture isn't the ONLY issue occurring in this country, sweet. Despite what you may think~There are BIGGER issues facing our nation. It's time to move past what Bush did and what Obama is ok with doing(Rendition) and look at whatour OWN politicians are doing to attribute to the deterioration of our nation.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• His overall foreign policy includes talking with and negotiating with our enemies.....When President Obama said this, conservatives were freaking out. Patreaus is for the same thing.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• IMO, One of the best things he did, was in Iraq~Establishing a constant presence by having soldiers immersed within the population of areas in Iraq. It established confidence, and was able to help establish relationships in the community to build Iraqi forces.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Well Obama used something to the effect of talking with "moderate" al-qaeda members....... It's hard to vision a 'moderate" al qaeda or taliban member... Obama isn't experienced in discussing global affairs.
    Plus Obama said he would meet with Iran without pre-conditions. Poor choice of words? Or inexperienced? Obama didn't win over American's with that comment either. But people were SO wantng change. He marketed it and won based on marketing. I think 2012 will be a difficult win for Obama.
    I would have to hear more about Petraeus' stand on pre-conditions. But I can't imagine him agreeing with Obama on meeting with Iran without pre-conditions. But we'll see... That could be a deal breaker for me.... Everything my hubby and bil have said he won't run.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2009