Toys Toys Toys Eeverywheres

I guess part of it is just living in a house with 5 kids and having saved the older kids toys for the younger kids and then adding to the toys we are in to serious overload.

I have been working hard over the past few weeks to thin down the toys but maybe it is just me but the toys seem to multiply every night the stuffed animals are the worst.

I read in a post earlier just to have 2 large totes that you rotate toys through and I started to think maybe we are in way over lode of toys since we have 2 rooms plus 2 large closets that hold toys puzzles and games and the books are in the family room on the bookcase stacked double deep so all in all we have approx 120 feet of childrens books

I have a problem that I have a very hard time geting rid of toys when I think that the kids may be able to use them for this or that or somthing else then we keep adding to them.

honestly how do you limit your toys other stuff

mtnaspen

Asked by mtnaspen at 10:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• toss em or donate think of kids that don't have pass them down to people you know hospitals.... i have bins and every few mo i g through things keeps my life more organized and my kids barely know somethings gone! good luck
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:01 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• for me if she hasn't played with it in a few months i put it up and then after a few months of something not being played with i put that up and pull out the old stuff. my daughters bday is in dec so i try not to open all her gifts up from xmas and bday that way she gets something new halfway through the year and i don't feel like i should get her something.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I made my 4 year old help me. I didn't argue with what she said she didn't like, I took out the broken toys or pieces to ones that she decied to toss. She was on board with the idea until she got half way through. Then she didn't want to so I used the old "If you don't pick, I"m putting all the ones you haven't gone through in the trash" routine and she finished up and actually cut HERSELF from two OVERFLOWING toyboxes and toys that tried their best to find a spot ANYWHERE they could fit to ONE small plastic tub with a lid. (Christmas is coming up and my mom likes buying gifts for Halloween) I personally have a hard time getting rid of ANYTHING that isn't broken. So I would start with that, Then let each child help go through some toys (and if you must, keep a box to the side so that you can have you choice at keepers from their trash pile)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Give yourself a time limit. If it hasn't been used in say 3 years, you probably don't need it. Get your kids to help find old/unwanted/unused toys to donate to a local charity...if you have that much stuff you can always donate to more than one charity. There are lots of families out there who are in need.
    momsc

Answer by momsc at 11:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Get rid of things that are packed away in closets. Either sell them or donate them. Honestly, it is hard to get rid of things. I'm the type of person that gets attached to "stuff". One thing you have to remember is being overwhelmed is not positive. There are so many toys that the children can't clean up by themselves and there aren't specific places for things, they are overwhelmed and it's too much. Also remember that when your children have too much they value very little. Teach them the value of having things by reducing the things they have. It's also awesome to teach them how to give to others that may not have as much. :)

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• About six mths ago I let my son go through his toys, with my help. Hes 3 and i gave him three options for each toy 1. keep the toy 2, broken toy=trash 3. give to another kid. He did really well. I was very surprised and shocked. He gave away a full trash bag of toys. I let him do it bc i too am bad about "well he might use this, or if i have another one..." He made it much easier for me.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:06 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Donate them to Salvation Army. Now is a good time, it's starting to get to be that time of the year. You will be doing your family and someone else's a favor
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 1:02 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Honestly, my husband is as bad as my son. Neither one of them wants to get rid of anything. My son says he wants to save his toys for his children. As if his children will really want his twenty or thirty year old stuff. I don't have room to keep storing all his "precious heirlooms". I'm looking forward to school starting next week and I can get rid of some stuff while no one is around. HA, HA, HA, HA!
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:55 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Talk to your kids about how some kids don't have toys to play with, then have each of your kids go through their toys and pick out ones to donate to needy kids. Your kids know which toys they don't really care for. Then continue doing this every six months or so. Also, institute a one in/one out rule; have them pick out which toys they will get rid of to make room for new ones at Xmas, B-days, etc. Though this won't immediately solve the problem, since the average size of toys goes down as the age of the kid goes up, this will help over time.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:33 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I go through them and put some in the basement. If the kids don't ask from them, I get rid of them. Most of the toys do the same thing anyway so saving them only causes a huge mess.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 7:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009