Backseat Blues [STILL]

We got my 6 month old son a new car-seat, the new Safety 1st, Air Car Seat, actually.
Problem is--- he still hates it! He hates being in the back seat. I don't know what we're going to do when we go up to New Jersey, from Florida, if he keeps this up.

Help!
He's been like this since he was 2 months. We've tried everything-- We give him toys, a bink, and we sit back there with him as well... but that part kind of gets tiring.
What can we do?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 11:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dvd player....my dd got one when she was a year saved my life on soo many road trips. just put a cd in the lights are entertaining and the music is low enough only he can hear. he may be a baby that gets carsick so try blocking so he can't see out a window, or opening a window so he has a slight breeze on him
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:09 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Have you thought about installing a mirror in front of him? That was he can look at himself, as all babies love to do, and he can see you, well the back of you. My DD loves hers and gets upset if it isn't angle right so she can see us. We bought a mirror that played music and had flashing lights with a remote for only $10.

Does he like music? I am sure that you have tried this, but perhaps a fun CD. DD is very opinionated about her music! You may have to try a couple of different CD until you find one that works for him. Or you could sing to him (that will get tiring too)

Also check to make sure that the car seat is installed, correctly, but reclined as much as possible. This may encourage him to sleep in the car.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 11:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Nah, looking out the window is the only thing that keeps him quiet sometimes. The only problem with the DVD player is, that he is still rear facing. I don't want to install it to the front of the backseat head rest, and he's only 6 months so I don't want to face him forward.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 11:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I know this sounds hard and harsh but it works. I had the same prob and did same things you did. Of course, he kept throwing fits and crying sooo i was with my grandmother one day and she said it's okay let him cry it won't bother me. In my head I thought well it will prob bother me, but i did it. I let him cry; I ignored him. I offered no comfort and he stopped. SERIOUSLY are you kidding me child? Yep thats what worked Just be quiet radio if you want but dont answer his calls dont try to please him. And hopefully it will work for you too. Good luck!
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• they have ones you can move around, that just wrap around the headrest so you can take it out of the car when you aren't using it. thats the kind we have.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Maybe nothing. My DD used to scream at the top of her lungs in the car until she was around 14 mos old (she also screamed in the stroller) the only thing that would calm her down is when I would sing at the top of my lungs. I don't really know why but when she was older we found out that she got carsick if she was in the car over 1/2 hr plus she didn't like it when she couldn't see the world around her- so I think it was a combo of the two. Sorry I can't really be of help but I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 11:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• That's awesome VABCHMOMMY, where did you get it?
    HEARTFROMMYSON, we've tried that... he just keeps screaming until he cant breath, no matter how long the drive is.
    DREWLOVE, good idea. Thanks.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 11:15 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My son was the same way until we finally turned him around.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:35 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• target...it was about 2 yrs ago, but they have them in walmart too. its actually 2 screens as well, so when/if you have another you can hook one up to both headrests so they can both have their own screen (same movie but they get their own screen so they can both see) i think we paid about $90 for it, but hubby is navy and we do a road trip to visit family from va to la about twice a year so very much worth it for us!! it plugs into the cigg lighter so you have to have that type of outlet (i've seen some newer cars that don't) and even has a remote. its awesome, only downfall no carry case, so we just keep it in a book bag in the car so it doesn't get scratched. it even has hookups for headphones (so now that shes 3 i can hook up a head phone turn it down and she can hear it but i don't have to)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:44 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• maybe he gets carsick!?
    Candice_c3

Answer by Candice_c3 at 5:00 AM on Sep. 7, 2009