OMFG! What is the deal with Kids!

My 12 yr old niece just told me she is Bisexual. What is with kids these days! At 12 she shouldn't even be dating let alone be thinking of sexual orientation. There is nothing wrong with adults who are gay. And I realize that sometimes the body just wants what it wants. But I have a very hard time believing she is actually gay. I think she's doing this for attention and to be different. She told me in confidence so will not say anything to her mother. But this is just .... out there ya know.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 11:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with you. For starters, I'd tell her that until she's responsible enough to make adult decisions, she should be "asexual" and leave it at that.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Yea I don't know....
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:30 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My daughter is 13 and she says the same thing! It drives me nuts because we do have family members who are bi, and gay, but she is way to young to know. I even had her gay uncle explain to her that he didn't realize his sexual orientation until he was a senior in high school. She says that she is just trying to figure out if she likes guys or girls more! My response to her is if she isnt being sexually active, (which she says she's not) than what does it matter? Worry about school right now. Try to figure out who you are before you try to figure out who you like. aaaahhh...I totally feel your frustration.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• At 12/13 years old chances are she doesn't really know what being bisexual means. This day and age it's "cool" to be bisexual. It's all about fitting in. When I was in school the girls and guys I knew that were bisexual or gay/lesbian didn't even want to admit it because it was "gross" now it seems like every teen I know is "bisexual" I'm sorry Kissing girls does not make you bisexual.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:24 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Just don't worry about it. If it's something she just said to be cool, it's just a conversation, nothing meaningful. If it's for real, you'll find out later.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:36 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Around here the majority of the girls in grades 9-12 are bi-sexual. It's a fad. I think that soemwhere they figured out that if they have sex with girls it's okay because they can do whatever they choice and they don't have to worry about getting pregnant. Most of the girls at my sons' small school (there are about 120-150 students in grades 9-12 and more than 1/2 are girls) swing both ways. Because it's so small everyone knows everyones business and I listen to my kids when they talk. As seniors they know everything about everyone.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Be very careful. My niece went threw this (she was 13 at the time). She told her counselor that a family member exposed himself to her that was why she was not sure about her sexuality (she forgot to mention that this person was sleeping and she walked into his bedroom and his privates were hanging out of his shorts ) and it caused a huge rift in my family. The truth came out finally but things will never be the same in my family. I would let her talk. She obviously trust you. Just be careful........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2009