At what age did your child start writting or was ready to start tracing?

At what age did your child start to do more than just do squiggles on paper?
At what age was your child ready to start tracing letters?
At what age did they start writting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• A 2 yr old can be taught to trace, by 3 a child should be able to copy simple shapes and some may be able to write their names. By 4 children should be able to write their names without tracing. They should also be able to spell their name out loud. At 5, they should be able to write their first and last name and almost all of the alphabet, they should be able to recognize by sight about 40 words. Some 5 year olds can write simple sentences and do journaling. I have 4 yr olds and all but 2 can write their names, spell them, write their alphabet and do journaling. It is not perfect and the words are spelled by sound and usually not correctly but they are trying.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My son will be 4 in October. He has very little interest in drawing or writing. He mostly scribbles and colors pictures all one color. I did have him copy me drawing a face one time and so sometimes he draws faces. He also tried to draw cars one time when he was about 3 1/2. He loves workbooks and will do tracing in them when they are things like lines, and waves, and mazes. He says letters are too hard though.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My oldest son was 4 when he started wanting to write his letters. He never did any tracing, he just started writing. First 3 letter words like cat and dog, he was also very interested in spelling, then he tought himself how to write his name. My little one is 3.5 and only scribbles, but has recently been trying to write some numbers. I've started giving him some tracing pages but he mostly just scribbles on them. Follow youir child's ques, and don't force it on them. They will learn it when they are ready.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:38 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My daughter is three and can write her name and most of her letters. She's not much of a tracer either. She started writing on her own with her Doodle Pro. She loves that thing.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 12:42 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• The travel doodle is what prompted my son to start writing. We had a 19 hour car ride, so I bought it to help keep him occupied, and by the time we arrived, he was writing his name, and other 3 letter words.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:55 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My son was 3 when he learned to write his name and almost 4 when he started tracing letters. He is 5 and writing most letters with out tracing upon request. He doesn't really spell yet.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:56 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• my DD is 4 and she has been drawling stick people lol since she was 3.5 years and she colors pictures she trys staying in the lines. She loves to learn so we been doing workbooks together and letters if you show her a letter she can write some of them she rights about 15 letters out of the alphabet. She has been able to trace letters and numbers from a piece of paper since a couple months before turning 4. She also just learned how to start writing but then again I have to write it first or show her the letter so she basicly copys what she sees.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Thanks ladies. I guess alot will happen this next yr. (shes about to turn 3) and for now she is doing OK... She is still doing scribbles but is starting to make more controlled lines & circles so she is improving at a good pace..
    DD usually starts a lil behind her age group & then jumps ahead / catches up right when i start to get worried! lol... she likes to keep me on my toes :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Sep. 8, 2009