What age does a kid start going to the bathroom all on their own?

How old was your kid when they could go to the bathroom, wipe themself, put on their pants, & wash their hands without any help?

my dd is almost 3. She goes by herself but i still have to wipe her or else she gets a bad rash from not wiping good enough.. and i still have to monitor her when she washes her hand. or else she would dump the sea down our drain playing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• mine is the same way, in my experience w/other kids usually around 4 1/2 to 5 1/2. mine's 3 i have to make sure she wipes properly, and gets everything. and that she doesn't make my bathroom a pool
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• My son is 4 and he can usually do pretty good by himself but I still clean him up after he does otherwise he's the same way and will get a rash if he isn't cleaned properly. But everything else he does himself.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:21 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Around the age of 5 or 5&1/2 they no longer need you. They still need reminding to wash hands tho lol
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 1:16 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• By the time they start school at 5 or 6. My 8 yr old still has to be reminded to wipe. There are always track marks in his underwear. And both my son and my husband need reminding to wash. They think because they are guys and they drip dry, that they don't have to wash. Eeeww!
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:49 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My son is 5 and still won't wipe his butt very well. I think that's a boy thing though. I have known many other mothers of boys with the same problem. Other than that he has been going on his own since he was about 3.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:53 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Ok, I guess I should get ready to be bashed. The definition of "Potty Trained" is knowing when they need to go, going into the bathroom, pulling down their pants, going to the bathroom, wiping, pulling their pants back up, flushing and then washing their hands. Just because your kids knows when they have to pee doesn't make them potty trained. I don't help my kids wipe their butt after they have potty trained. The rash makes them wipe better next time, otherwise we would all be wiping our 10 year olds butts. I have had kids potty train between 2 and 4 years old, so the age where they can go on their own changes.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2009