How can I get a 11month old boy to stop head butting or wacking his head into everything?

My 11 month old won't stop hitting head repeatly on you, or the ground, the wall, the crib,etc . Its been getting worse where he leaves brusies on his head, He laugh about it. His father and I are very concern he might really hurt him self.

I have heard its away to get are attention but its been getting real bad, help

Muscialmae1

Asked by Muscialmae1 at 11:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you told his pediatrician about it? Idk...my son did the floor banging a couple times but it seems as though once he realized it didn't feel so good, he stopped. Good luck to you, and your son. I hope he stops soon. Sorry I couldn't be much help
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 11:49 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I haven't talk to his pedistrician yet but will be 1st thing Monday
    Muscialmae1

Answer by Muscialmae1 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• with my brother we used to hold him or "sit" on him (over his waist holding his arms and our feet over his legs) until he would calm down. that is what was recommended by the docs at the time but he's 16 now so...i'd mention it at his check up coming up (he should have a 1 yr soon right?) have you tried ignoring it? or does that get him more worked up, when my dd did that stuff we would ignore her and eventually she gave up on it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• He does have a yr check up at the end of the month. I have been ignoring for about 5-6weeks but its been getting worse. Were he'll start getting more work up. I was think the same thing that if I just ignore it b/c I know his try to get me to pick him up or give him something.
    If I do pick him up he start head butting me.
    Muscialmae1

Answer by Muscialmae1 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I wish i knew i have the same problem. He loves to hit himself in the head with things.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:32 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I dont have any suggestions for you, I wish I did, but my son used to do the same thing and now he is a normal healthy 15 y/o boy if that helps you feel better. I used to get so worked up over it thinking he was going to hurt himself too, and he stopped after a little while, ( couple months or so I think) As long as there isnt anything else going on, its probably just a phase, so to speak..... hang in there, he wont hurt himself, unless he is one of the rare children that dont feel pain, but you would know that by now Im sure.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:13 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My little girl did this about the same time. I started to ignore her when she would do it. DH and i never looked at her when she started it and with in a few days she just stoped. So my advice is to ignore him and still bring it up to his doc. I found this advice in the "what to expect the first year" book. GREAT BOOK BTW!!
    LilMzMa

Answer by LilMzMa at 2:07 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I agree with these moms. If you believe he's doing it to get a reaction from you and dad, do not give hime one. Unfortunately walking into things and getting bumps is how they learn about where they are in space. Let him explore but give him the opportunity to be safe.
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2009