Can you dye your hair?

I am 4 wks and 2 days I remember hearing w/ my first who is 17 mos now that you should not dye your hair until your last trimester. Is this true and has anyone dyed their hair while pregnant?

alaskaarmywife

Asked by alaskaarmywife at 12:15 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I die my hair every two weeks and I am pregnant. There is no real proof that is bad, as once believed. Like I said it's not a fact that it will harm the baby. A questions upon doctors. But I have heard its bad for your hair because you already have dry hair. So that means no curlers or straighteners either. But if you are worried about baby use all natural hair dyes. I also have heard hair dye has been linkd to kidney problems.
    PrincessSmasher

Answer by PrincessSmasher at 12:19 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I have through my whole pregnancy! As long as it is from the box from the store it is fine! Just not from the salon!

I even got a perm lol (Before I knew I was pregnant)
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:20 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• She has got a point. Going to the salon can be so much worse chemically wise. Even if they do a fantastic job.
    PrincessSmasher

Answer by PrincessSmasher at 12:23 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I believe this question is kind of like the whole breast feeding issue. It's better to breast feed (i.e. not dye your hair) than formula (dying hair) but really the baby will grow up healthy either way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Because chemicals are more easily absorbed through the scalp, I would wait until after delivery~ or at least do it as little as possible during pregnancy.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:26 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• i got my hair done while pregnant and my baby turned out fine, my hair didnt turn out like i wanted it. its rare that the color takes right cuz of the hormones, but its fine for the baby. just dont like breath it in too much and what not :p
    lilv_03

Answer by lilv_03 at 12:38 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I say go for it. died my hair for all 3 of my kids. and guess what their all just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• The chemicals are much more dangerous if you work in a salon than if you either get your hair done there or do the box at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• It's fine to dye your hair, boxed or salon, the salon actually has less chemical than the box! The only problem you might run into is that it won't turn out the way you wanted it to. The influx of hormones changes your hair. Other than that just make sure you're in a well ventilated area and that if you start to feel sick or anything to go outside or possibly wash the dye out early.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 3:03 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I'm staying away until later just because I don't feel the need to spend money on my hair right now LOL. But I was told that the fumes are what can cause harm, but if women are allowed to WORK in salons throughout their pregnancy, the fumes of an hour-long visit to a salon isn't going to hurt you. Also beware, my friend's hair turned green when she got it dyed while pregnant due to the hormones, & apparently that's not abnormal.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:24 AM on Sep. 6, 2009