neglect

is it neglect to leave a 2 yr old hisbedroom with his toys and televison playing but put up a baby gate to keep him contained for awhile???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say yes. A two year old needs constant supervision. i would suggest putting up gates in the room you are in, (ie: the livingroom) and put a few toys in there for them to play with. i don't think it's a good idea to leave them unattended. Just my opinion.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 12:20 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I agree. You never know what could happen. I mean even when Im in the same room as my son its not 100% safe. One day I was on the couch and my then 15 month old was playing with his toys next to the couch which is below the windows. Some how he had the string wrapped around his neck and tied. It was literally chocking him! I had never ever though I had to worry about those like that.. NOW they are always out of reach from him. I still hate to think what would have happened if I was out of the room or did get the sense to check on him when let out a little yelp. My mom informed me a few days ago they are having recalls on blinds because of this reason- theres being 3 or4 children dying from it
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:23 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• if he's got a clean diaper/pullup/underwear and is in his own room which is assumably baby proofed well and the door must be OPEN hence the baby gate therefore you can hear him... and he's had a meal or snack recently.... then God no! It's just a glorified play pen at that point.

I personally wouldn't do it... but I don't know your situation. Perhaps if I needed a shower REALLY BAD or was dealing with a problem (cat puke, major cleanup, a sick sibling or newborn) I'd give it a whirl
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:25 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I don't feel comfortable with the "yes, it's abuse" stuff... suppose she's at her breaking point and needs a mommy time out...... and she is thoughtful enough to want him in the safest place possible while she catches her breath.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:31 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Depends on what you mean by "awhile" If its for a few minutes, maybe 30 minutes at a time so you can get stuff done around the house. No. Now if you leave them like that all day then yes that is absurd. Wish that would have worked with my son he knew how to climb over the baby gate by the time he was 2.

"Some how he had the string wrapped around his neck and tied. It was literally chocking him! I had never ever though I had to worry about those like that."

I hate to seem like such a bitch but that was your own fault. Common sense tells you it's a choking hazard, even on the blinds it has warnings for stuff like that.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:39 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• "i don't think it's a good idea to leave them unattended. Just my opinion. "

so you don't leave your child unattended at night when they can wake up at any point during the night?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• To anon 1030, actually, no... I don't leave him unattended at night. Nor any other time of the day. there is always someone looking after him whether it is myself, dad, or the older siblings.
    I agree that it matters the amount of time, but anything beyond a few minutes without a simple peeping in on them, I think is a bad idea. At 2, they are not completely aware of what is dangerous. 2 year olds like to climb, right? So what happens if he climbs the dresser, and it falls on him? or he manages to pull the outlet cover out of the socket and decides to put a toy in it? Just doesn't seem too safe to me. I guess if you feel comfortable leaving your child alone to care for himself for periods of time, then that is your perogative. I would just be sure not to leave my child in your care.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:57 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• No, I don't think it's abuse - not the way you're describing it. My DD is 2 and a half and will go in her bedroom and play quietly for about 30 minutes or so without me even telling her too.

We don't have big dressers in their bedrooms for them to climb onto and she doesn't play with the sockets either. My children have their independence (not total - I always have an eye on them or an ear!) But I want MY insecurities to be MY problem and not theirs. So she can go and play by herself if she wants.
    And it's not like her kid is locked in the kitchen or the bathroom... or the dungeon of knives and tall dressers. For goodness sakes, I'm sure the kids room is baby-proofed. And IMO it's not neglect to let your kids play by themselves. Like I said, my DD ventures off by herself and plays. So I guess I'm neglectful too?
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 2:08 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I don't think so- as long as you are keeping an eye on him. My 1 year old will play by herself in her room for a while, I just make sure to check on her a lot so she's not doing anything she's not supposed to. I think at that age they like a little independence so why not?

Neglect would be if you put them in there and then went shopping or something. There's nothing wrong with a child playing in their room alone for a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• "actually, no... I don't leave him unattended at night. Nor any other time of the day. there is always someone looking after him whether it is myself, dad, or the older siblings."

So someone is watching your child at all times even when he's asleep? I mean he is NEVER left alone not even for a few seconds?(and I don't mean someone sleeping in the same room with him I mean someone with their eyes on him at ALL times) Somehow unless you're insanely paranoid do I not see that being the case.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Sep. 6, 2009