can i cut the tylenol rectal suppository in half?

my 17 mo old has a fever. she doesnt take oral meds very well so suppositories work best. anyway, the recommended dose for her age is 80 mg. all stores that are open only have 120 mg doses. can i just cut it in half (or close to it) or could that be dangerous ? thanks ladies.

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 12:26 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yes you can cut them in half by cutting the end off it's fine and safe we do it all of the time at the hospital...
    However... how big is your child?? 80 mg is a very small dose for the average 17 month old.... 80 mgs would be for about a 18 lb child.
    120mg would be for a child about 27 lbs.. so unless she is VERY tiny for her age she can likely have a full dose.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• NO!!! What is wrong with giving her oral meds? If she fights that is normal, she will need to take oral meds at some point or another so you might as well get her used to it. Get a syringe and put it in the back of her throat and hold her nose. She has no choice but to swallow it. Believe me, it won't kill her. My son hated taking meds to but he HAD to do it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:28 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• You can call Walgreens and ask to speak to the pharmacist on duty, they keep one 24 hours a day, they will tell you if you can split the suppository or not, they may also have another suggestion. My local walgreens pharmacist is always happy to answer questions :) (no matter what time of day or night)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:29 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• they make a fever suppository for kids, i've seen it at walmart also a tylenol suppository for children at walmart. if you have one nearby i'd try there to see if they have something. if not call your doc and ask if you can cut it into thirds (i'd go thirds instead of half just to be safe) and give it to her that way. if not and her fever is bad enough, do you have a neighbor or someone who lives close by? my dd will take meds from anyone but me, hubby and grandma. so my gf would come over since she lived next door and give it to her when we were neighbors. don't know why she did it, but if a friend or nurse/doc gave it she'd take it no probs.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:33 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• she doesnt fight oral meds, she vomits it all back up every time. so its like i might as well have given her nothing. and she feels worse afterward. just to clarify our preference to suppositories
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 12:35 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• than i'd call the doc and see if you can cut it up. if not maybe take her into an urgent care that is open for 24 hours and ask that they give her one or that they give her a shot (if that is something you can afford to do). if i couldn't get in contact w/the doc, couldn't go to an er, and the fever was getting bad i'd cut it into thirds or even fourths and give just one piece until morning when i'd take her in somewhere.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:50 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My daughter was a med puker too, all her life until she got old enough to take pills and swallow them whole, it was awful. One trick I learned though was to mix whatever med she needed in chocolate pudding, just enough to cover the med, like a couple teaspoons. There is something in chocolate that kills the medicine for most and really, it worked, and chocolate pudding isnt gonna hurt her one bit, just dont let her see you put the med in the pudding, it will work even better and its worth a try. ( I did this with every med ever for her whole little young yrs, it was the only way I could get her meds in her and she was a sickly little girl)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:01 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• What about the tylenol meltaways?
    babygirl52709

Answer by babygirl52709 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• how high is that fever? why are you trying to bring it down? the fever is the body's way of killing whatever bug is making them sick. you're only prolonging the illness.
    if it's like 105.5... then i'd try, but nothing below that.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 6, 2009