What do I do with this child!!!???

I started watching a little boy every day, he is 17 months old. and he always wants to be held and wants to get into everything!!! Im 7 1/2 months pregnant so I cant pick him up any more. I put him in his play pen for time out and he just screams!!!! The other day he was punching my big screen TV and I told him "NO SIR!!!" and he started crying! then went on and kicked the dogs and was pulling their tails and throwing things at them! I put him in time out but he just screamed and yelled and threw a tantrum! His mom said I can tap his hand if he does something wrong but I would rather not! But when my SO gets home, he listens to him. He sits on the couch and plays with toys and watches TV!!! What do I do to get him to listen to me too??? What do I do with this child? I feel like I am in WAY over my head?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 12:38 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with everyone else and I also think that ANYTIME he does something good - even if it's just standing there, not doing anything - tell him how good he's being. Praise him for being so good (even if he's not doing anything particularly WONDERFUL - as long as he isn't doing anything BAD). I don't know but it works with my kids. Most of the time they act really good and I tell them so, like they hung the moon. They get their feelings hurt when they get in trouble because I'm always telling them how wonderful they are. And they want to get BACK to being wonderful so they stop it. It didn't happen overnight though. I've been doing this since... birth. :-D Hope I helped.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 2:03 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• i wish i knew what to tell you but my dd is that way w/me. maybe try to spend more time playing with him and distracting him? your SO probably walks in the door and is all fun, so he sees fun and doesn't even think about messing that up. as far as the screaming, thats normal at that age, just walk outside and ignore it for a bit. if he doesn't get a response from you, he'll probably stop.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:41 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• He is a baby still... And is testing the boundaries. Just keep redirecting him.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:41 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think he is testing boundaries as well. Maybe try looking objectively at what your SO is doing differently than you. It is probably something small, like talking more softly, or being more animated, or being silly or some other small factor that makes him want to hang out with your SO. Or it could be that he is more consistant in what he expects behaviour wise. But it could also just be that he is with you all day, so he is more comfortable with you and willing to test his limits. Try to stay calm and consistent with him, organize a schedule that has lots of well time snacks, naps and free play, and always have a set of rules that is always followed. Hope things get better, and remember to take care of yourself and your baby.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 6, 2009