Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can not stand my dr and do not want him to be the one to deliver my baby in 3 days when I am induced, is there any way I can get another dr at this late date?

My dr seems to be a big pusher of c sections. At 30 weeks my baby was breech and he set me up for a c section with out my consent stating the baby was too big and wouldnt be able to flip that late in pregnancy, Needless to say, he did flip and is in perfect positon. Now I am 42 weeks pregnant and he refused to induce me any earlier and is not telling me the baby is too big to deliver vaginally and I will probably need a c section. I have no faith in the man and do not want him delivering my baby but cant find any dr willing to take me on this late. Am I stuck with this dr or do I have any choices? He is a solo practice, so no partners.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (12)
  • I dont know if its' possible, but I would tryo contacting your local hospital where you intend to have the baby and ask to speak with the OB staff there. Tell them your situation. Maybe even call the NICU and speak to the neonatologists there. At our hospitals, the Neo's go to every delivery too, for the safety of the babies and I would absolutely stress that you are concerned about the well being of your baby and yourself for that matter. You shouldn't be forced to stick to a doctor you don't feel comfortable with. I wish you the best of luck.

    Answer by jdrae13 at 1:12 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • He can NOT force you to consent to a cesarean. And he can not refuse to care for you without a 30-day written letter. You have legal rights.

    But no, who would want someone like that at the presence of the most special experience of your life?!?

    Women do change at the last minute, it just takes some work...
    Would you be interested in a planned homebirth with a midwife? You might open up your options there.

    Answer by doulala at 1:19 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • good luck,most people dont actually end up having t"heir" doctors when they deliver, i did but my was E preemie but since yours is scheduled your gonna have him there,just because he pushes c-section does not mean you have to get one,but it does tell me he is in it for the money so he doesnt sound too great.

    Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:22 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • Youre probably stuck with him. Just be informed and have an advocate there who knows your wishes. You could go to another hospital or ask for another doctor iin another town, but this late in the game I don't think anyone will take you. Sorry :( I wish you the best!

    Answer by Ati_13 at 1:24 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • pray your baby comes faster and i do believe it takes 3-5 days to change doctors but do you really wanna run a chance that the baby will come and your in the middle of switching dr or whats worse getting a new doctor you dont know?

    Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:25 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • Doulala, that's a great idea, but I think that after 42 weeks a midwife has to refer out to a physician anyway.

    Answer by Ati_13 at 1:26 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • You could just walk into another hospital if you were in labor and see who you get. Go have sex.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • Ati_13

    It depends of the midwife, licensed or not, and local regulations. I saw an unlicensed midwife who would have been able to attend me even after 42 weeks. Also no regulations on breach or vbac.

    OP: I've heard many stories of midwives taking on mothers very late. It would be something to look into. When you're uncomfortable with some one during labor it can make you close up and stall labor. I'd do every thing you can to find someone else.

    Answer by jupiter84 at 2:35 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • well if you are induced it doesn't mean he'll be there. my doc was there when i was induced but i had my daughter after she was gone (she stayed on call that day and the next day in case it was time and it wasn't yet) so i ended up w/another doc and i hated him. but i would suggest calling the hospital you are scheduled for your induction at and ask if you can still go as scheduled but have the on call doc there. and you don't have to have the c-section even if its recommended by him. if he recommends it ask for a 2nd opinion from another doc there at the time.
    or you could tell him that for whatever reason you can't be induced that day and ask him if theres a diff doc that can induce the day before or after so you aren't stuck w/him

    Answer by vabchmommy at 2:41 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • i didnt want my doctor either.
    THANK GOD he went on vacation the day i went into labor. He wasnt going to let my SO and my mom in the room when i had my c-section. The new dr let them both in, and even left the door open for my whole family to watch. Kinda weird, but they were stoked. haha

    Answer by dennysgirl07 at 4:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.