Question for Christians

Please explain how you see these verses in the Bible.

Matthew 5:17-19 (King James Version)

17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I believe it them to mean that Jesus, peace be upon him, did not come to take away from the laws of the old testament. I believe he came to add wisdom to it but not change it. I am no longer Christian but do believe the Bible is God's word (but has been added to and taken away from).

Thanks, look forward to your thoughts.

GDIMOM

Asked by GDIMOM at 1:03 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here it is in the newer edition. I used to use the Kings James though.

Matthew 5:17-19 (New International Version)

The Fulfillment of the Law
    17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 1:04 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• How is it that you believe in God and His Word and are no longer a Christian? What caused you to stop being faithful?
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:15 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I am still a believer in God. I am Muslim now. I am the same exact person with the same exact morals. I just read Quran now and have a better understanding of everything.

When I was Christian I tried to follow the ENTIRE Bible which is impossible. I wanted to do all that was in the old testament and follow new as well.

I always wondered how people can pick and choose different parts to follow. That is why I had a struggle continuously trying to do the right thing.

Through my struggle I found Islam and the pieces came together and my foundation was already set by the Bible.
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 1:23 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• There are phophesies to be fulfilled read Revelations. We are no longer bound to the Old Testament read Galatians 3. NIV version though.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:27 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• From NIV:
    tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Earth is still here. So that means the law is still here to me. No?

GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 1:29 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• We do not serve the same God. I will pray for you to return. I have never tried to be perfect as to the bible we are all sinners saved by Grace alone When we try to put on our best garment they are filthy. I believe He is so meriful and faithful to forgive us and renew us daily. Jesus said "I am the way the truth and the light No one comes to the Father except through me" If you deny me I will deny you in heaven.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:43 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I believe in one God so I believe we do serve the same God. The only difference is I no longer say in Jesus' name I pray. Instead I go straight to the source. I will pray for you too as I pray for God to guide all non-Muslims to Islam.

....still want to hear opinions of the verses not trying to debate.
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 1:51 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• When you follow this... Love the Lord Your God and Love Your neighbor as yourself you will follow everything in the Old T. If you Love God with all your heart, mind and soul you will have no need to do those 10 commandments in the bible. When You Love your neighbor as yourself, you will also have no need to follow the 10 commandments.
    When you have a relationship with Christ, you will want to do good, however we do fall and it is HIS GRACE and LOVE that picks us back up again. It is not about being GOOD.. no one is GOOD except God. It is about relating to Him and responding to His Love, Mercy and Grace. Wanting to worship Him. When you do these things you are no longer under the law. We are to live under Grace not under the Law. That is what He tried to teach the Pharisees but they couldnt get past the legalistic law.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• If my answer is bizarre, I apologise in advance. I'm sleepy and am about to go to bed.

Indeed, Jesus did not come to throw the law out but to fulfill the law. In doing so, we are no longer obligated to follow certain laws. The ceremonial laws direct the Isrealites in worship. Isrealite worship was symbolic of the promised Messiah. Jesus is the promised Messiah and by his death and resurrection, the ultimate sacrifice, has fulfilled our obligation to this law. The civil laws were pertinent to the time and culture they serve. There is no longer a need to distinct Jew from Gentile (Galatians 3:28) and no reason for modern-day Christians to follow this law.

The "moral" law is the only "laws" that we follow. Some Christians persue morality to obtain salvation. Some believe salvation comes first and leads a Christian on the road of morality. Guidance in morals comes from the Holy Spirit (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:13 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I'm not trying to debate but one thing to point out is the God I serve loves all humanity even the sinner but not the sin Romans 5:8 and the Allah you serve only loves "lovely (those he deems good). Read 1John 4:8 (LOVE is the difference from your Allah and my God. The day I cried out for forgivess when I was Catholic I cried out for LOVE and He immediately filled me That's when I turned completely to Him. Its unexplainable how i felt His great love and presence. Then I became a Christian.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 2:14 AM on Sep. 6, 2009