A couple questions about my job as a sitter and my pregnancy....

I just got a job as a sitter for a 17 month old little boy and Im 30 weeks pregnant. I need to talk to tha lady I work for about these things because she wants to know but I would like to get some oither opinions about it first.
Here are my questions...
When should I stop working? How far along?
How long should I take off after I have my son?
What if I go into early labor while he is with me and nobody can pick him up?
Do I take him to the hospital with me until his mom got off work?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 1:19 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• she needs to give you phone numbers of someone you can get in contact w/in an emergency if you can't get her. not only for you if you go into labor but if something happens to him. at a day care you have to give a min of 3 back ups in case there is an emergency and they can't get ahold of you. work until you are no longer comfortable, if that means up til you have the baby thats fine. but if you plan on not working you should give her at the least a weeks notice so she can set up w/someone else. and i'd say wait 6 weeks if you can. but since its in your home it won't be as difficult as it would be to go "back" to work somewhere else.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:26 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Work as long as you're comfortable, if you want. (to 40 weeks... ?)
    I would say take 6 weeks off, more if you can afford it. But you'll be bringing your baby to work after that, right?
    Sure bring the boy with you or have access to their friends/neighbors/grandparents...

I was a nanny when pregnant. I took 6 weeks off and then continued to work there for another year and a half.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:22 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Wow, I'm surprised she didn't talk to you about what to do if you have your baby early.
    Good for you for bringing it up.

All these questions are important and she should give you answers you like. If not, drop that job.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 1:24 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• "doulala" Yes my baby would be at my house. I work at my house because we both decided it would be easier because she drops him off at 6:30 in the morning!!! UGH! But he normally goes back to sleep.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 1:29 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• You should work until you feel comfortable - also, if you have a weight restriction - make sure he's within that limit, and if you don't... ask~! Just in case.
    If you end up having a c-section, it should be about.. 6-8 weeks - at least until you're not terribly sore, since you'll have a newborn and a little toddler to contend to! If you have a vaginal, 6 weeks still seems like a safe range.
    If you do start going into labor, you should have a few "emergency" set ups. Ask her what she's comfortable with. Is she comfortable with you taking him to the hospital? If not... is she comfortable with him being left at a neighbors? Her neighbors in emergency instances? Or a family member? Close friend, etc. That's one of the things you should probably discuss with her - so that you're all on familiar and comfortable ground.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 1:40 AM on Sep. 6, 2009