Allergy Question for 2.5 year old

My DD is two and a half (three in January) and right now she's starting to get some bad allergies. It's keeping her awake and I think it's making her all itchy. What is a good medicine for her age? She's taken benadryl before but I was just on the website and it said between ages 2-5, don't use without doctors orders.
What do y'all think?

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 2:00 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• most will say don't take w/o docs orders b/c in the last few years they have stopped making recommendations for anyone under 4 (even the pharmacist won't make a recommendation around here) but there is a children's claritin that is supposed to be for 2 and up, i would take a look at that, and for something like that you may be able to just get a recommendation over the phone from her doc.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:15 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Yeah, when we went to the doc last, they said she had a mild case of eczema but now with the weather change and her allergies, she's even more itchy. I feel so bad for her. I slather lotion on her all the time - the expensive kind too ($10 a bottle is expensive to me!!). But now her noise is runny and she's having a hard time sleeping.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 2:18 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• i've found that stuff doesn't work for my dd, she doesn't have eczema but her skin when it sheds turns around and gets stuck in the pores causing bumps all over. (can't remember the name) anyways they gave a prescription soap and lotion that didn't work either. i use aveeno baby wash for her and a baby lotion that is dye and perfume free (aveeno and huggies she is fine with) and have found that they aren't as bad that way.
    maybe some vicks, if she'll let you suction the nose do that, if not show her how to blow (put a tissue by your face blow out your nose with your mouth closed, takes awhile but she'll get it) but my gf's son has allergies he'll be 3 in april and her doc recommended the claritin for children, just don't remember if there is a dosage on there for that age or if she had to get it from the doc.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:21 AM on Sep. 6, 2009