Will a German transformer (1000 watts) eventually blow the motor in my American treadmill?

I do know that my treadmill is UNDER 1000 watts and I can plug it up and run and bring the incline up, but a friend of mine said that after some time the motor will blow cause of the voltage difference... does anyone know anything about this?

ms_jackson

Asked by ms_jackson at 3:17 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Health

• it's not just the wattage you have to consider, but the incoming and outgoing voltages on both the transformer and the item you're powering.

Ideally, the transformer is used to converting an incoming line voltage to the same voltage as the object you're powering. In a lot of cases, it's to drop the voltage from 120v to 12V or 24v. For some items it may even be less - like the power cord for your cell phone has an integral 120v-5v transformer.

A European transformer should do the same thing - except it's converting from a different line voltage (IIRC 220-240v). Using it on a different line voltage can cause either the transformer or the powered item to blow a circuit.

Check your transformer, it should be stickered somewhere to show what voltage and hz it's made for. For use in the US, it should be 110-120v, 60 hz.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2009